We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

George Washington’s Gristmill at Mount Vernon Location?

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
George Washington’s Gristmill at Mount Vernon Location?

Where is George Washington’s Gristmill and Distillery located at Mount Vernon? From the website, I get the impression it's at a location that you need to drive to, but driving directions are not provided, or I missed it. From Google Map, I see that there's a Gristmill Road, and a Gristmill Park in the area, but from the Satellite view, I am not sure if it's located here. Can anyone provide specific directions? Thanks!

3 replies to this topic
Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,299 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: George Washington’s Gristmill at Mount Vernon Location?

We lived in that area many years and used to visit these places often.

Here it is:

mountvernon.org/visit/plan/index.cfm/pid/356/

It's 3 miles from what is now Mount Vernon. You take Rt. 235 out of the Mount Vernon site itself and it winds west and south. The mill is on the right just short of Rt. 1. It used to be all one as you can imagine. And the land used to extend past the mill to the Rt. 1 area where Woodlawn Plantation is. (The entrance to Woodlawn Plantation is off Rt. 1/Richmond Hwy at 235 and Rt. 1)That location was given to the newly married couple that was Martha's granddaughter and George's nephew. It took five years to finish the house, 1800-1805. It's another great historic place to visit. We always loved the gardens as well as the house.

Let me include here...rather than reinventing the wheel...a paragraph from Woodlawn's site, referencing history of a sort of timely issue:

"In 1846, the Lewis’s son sold the property to two families from New Jersey and Pennsylvania, the Troths and the Gillinghams, who were members of The Society of Friends (Quakers). Ethically opposed to slavery, the Troths and Gillinghams established Woodlawn as a “free labor colony,” selling lots to both free black and white farmers, and employing only free laborers to demonstrate as false the argument that the abolition of slavery would mean the death of the Southern plantation economy. This belief in liberty and equality made Woodlawn a controversial social experiment in its time and place, and its residents became a target of raids and suspicion by Confederate forces during the Civil War."

The Arcadia Center for Sustainable Food and Agriculture is taking advantage of this wonderful site as well. A great endeavor you can find out more about on their site.

And the Frank Lloyd Wright's Pope Leighey House is on the grounds as well. With the furntiure also designed by Wright.

A fascinating trip in itself.

http://woodlawn1805.org/

http://popeleighey1940.org/

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: George Washington’s Gristmill at Mount Vernon Location?

If you are at all interested in Franky Lloyd Wright, I highly recomend the tour of the Pope Leighey house. It is a quaint little house, made for an average family. The tour is very hands-on, giving you the ability to touch and sit in the furniture.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,299 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: George Washington’s Gristmill at Mount Vernon Location?

j-thanks for mentioning that hands on aspect. The more I think of it,the more highly unusual that was. We had so many friends visit us while we were there who were amazed there was a FLW house nearby and that one had such access.

Reply to: George Washington’s Gristmill at Mount Vernon Location?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted