We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to visit Mt. Vernon house and gardens?

Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
420 posts
65 reviews
How long to visit Mt. Vernon house and gardens?

We are planning to take a trip in October with our children (13,9,6) to visit Mount Vernon. They really enjoy historical sites and are especially excited to see Mount Vernon's "National Treasure Tour".

I have never been to Mount Vernon and am wondering if one day is enough? There certainly seems to be more than one day's worth of touring when you look at the website. If so, do they offer any sort of "multi-day tickets" or do you just have to purchase tickets two days in a row? I can't find anything like multi-day tickets on the website.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions regarding lodging, I would really appreciate it. We have an RV but would also consider hotels/bed and breakfasts.

Thanks for any help!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: How long to visit Mt. Vernon house and gardens?

Some friends went on the National Treasure tour, and reported back that the only "extra" thing you see is poking your head into a cellar room and then you move on.

I think you will find a day at Mount Vernon plenty of time. If you want to do more of the same type of thing another day, Woodlawn Plantation is right down the road, and on the grounds of that estate is the Pope-Leighey house, one of Frank-Lloyd Wright's creations.

Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
420 posts
65 reviews
2. Re: How long to visit Mt. Vernon house and gardens?

Thanks for your input!

Morris County, NJ
Level Contributor
698 posts
761 reviews
3. Re: How long to visit Mt. Vernon house and gardens?

Is about 3 hours on a December day enough time to see this?

Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
420 posts
65 reviews
4. Re: How long to visit Mt. Vernon house and gardens?

I should have updated my question long before now.

I have to say that Mt.Vernon was everything we hoped it would be and more! We spent two full days at the site and plan to go again. There is really quite a bit to see there...the house, the estate, the educational center. It was really wonderful. You will not be able to see it all in three hours, but you could probably do a quick tour of the house and walk by the main buildings. I think it would be a pretty expensive "side trip" though.

I would recommend giving it a day to itself.

If you want more specifics on what we did during our time there, please let me know!

Morris County, NJ
Level Contributor
698 posts
761 reviews
5. Re: How long to visit Mt. Vernon house and gardens?

Thanks for your reply Hersheyfolks. We visited there last Monday. We spent about 4 and a half hours there on our way between DC and Williamsburg.

This was incredible. Because it was Christmas time, we were able to see the third floor of the mansion. The mansion itself had one of the most incredible views of any river that we have ever seen. It was worth the price of the admission itself just to see that view.

The staff was great. The museum was very well done. It was worth the trip.

Thanks for all your advice.

St Louis
Level Contributor
20 posts
6. Re: How long to visit Mt. Vernon house and gardens?

How did the Nat'l Treasure tour go? We have tickets but based on prior reports it sounds like it might not be worth spending one hour on it.

Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
420 posts
65 reviews
7. Re: How long to visit Mt. Vernon house and gardens?

Well, we really enjoyed the National Treasure Tour, but more because of all the places you get to go in and around the mansion and grounds that you normally wouldn't be able to then because of any real connection to the movie itself. I don't mean to imply that there isn't a connection to the movie, because there is, but it you're looking for "insider details" and all of that, you will be disapointed. If, however, you want to do into the basement, out by the water, and see and hear stories you otherwise wouldn't, I would recommend it.

We completly enjoyed the tour and it added to our trip to Mt. Vernon.

8. Re: How long to visit Mt. Vernon house and gardens?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, October 22, 2009