We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Vernon to DC

Paarl, South Africa
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Mount Vernon to DC

We are 7 people from South Africa visiting your country in July. Everything is planned, but we still have to get from Williamsburg to DC in 1,5 days.

* What exactly is the George Washington Parkway, and where can I get information about it? From where to where does it stretch, and how far?

* We want to stay our last night near Mount Vernon or somewhere on the Parkway - any suggestions? We like rural areas, and our budget is about $70 - $90 per room.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Mount Vernon to DC

The George Washington Parkway is a generally four lane road (two in each direction) that runs through parkland, generally on the banks of the Potomac River. The south end is near Mount Vernon, which is approximately 10 miles south of Washington, D.C. The north end of the GW Parkway is where the Washington Beltway (Interstate Highway 495) crosses the Potomac River to the northwest of D.C., about 7 miles outside of D.C. It is mainly a commuter road, but with very pretty views, particularly south of Washington, where it runs closer to the river and has a bike trail next to it. It is a federal roadway, so the national park service may have information about it. Not sure about this.

Unless I am mistaken, there are no hotels on the Parkway itself, but there are many within a few miles of its route at various points. I am not certain about a hotel near Mount Vernon, but I can say there is little in that area that qualifies as rural. If you are coming up from Williamsburg, hotels in Woodbridge, Lake Ridge, Lorton, Kingstowne, or Fort Belvoir, Va would all be on your route of travel before you get to Mount Vernon, and within 30 minutes or so depending on traffic. Past Mount Vernon, hotels in Alexandria or Crystal City would give you easy access to downtown D.C. and would not require backtracking too far to Mount Vernon.

Hope that helps some; hopefully others will know of lodging for you by Mount Vernon itself.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
206 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Mount Vernon to DC

I can give you some information...as I live close to Mount Vernon:)

The George Washington Memorial Parkway (GW Parkway for short) is part of the National Park Service. Along with the GW Parkway, the Mount Vernon Trail follows along the Potomac River. This trail is used for walking, running, and biking. There are many stops along this trail...including lookouts, parks, picnic areas, etc. Here is a website that gives info about both items.

http://www.nps.gov/gwmp

Click on "directions" and then "maps" to print out a map of the entire

GW Parkway and the Mount Vernon Trail.

There are no hotels/motels on the GW Parkway. The closest are on Route One/Richmond Highway, but I would not suggest any of these (very commercial and in my opinion, not very nice). Your next option would be Old Town Alexandria (north from Mount Vernon via the GW Parkway). This a beautiful and historic town. Here is website that will help with Alexandria information.

http://funside.com/

Possibly a bed and breakfast may work (although the price may not work and some require more than one night)...

Alexandria/Arlington bed and breakfast website: http://aabbn.com/

A b&b close to Mount Vernon (don't know anyone who has stayed here, but I know the area and house...beautiful: bedandbreakfast.com/virginia-alexandria-mt-v…

Good luck and post with more questions!

Paarl, South Africa
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Mount Vernon to DC

Thanks Warthog

(I have to smile, because there is a family of warthog grazing on my lawn at the moment)

A few more questions if I may?

* Could you suggest any other route from Williamsburg to Mt Vernon other than rt 95? We like the farmlands and REALLY picturesque small roads. Or is rt 95 not bad to look at?

* What is the (1) quickest (2) more scenic route into DC itself? Is there perhaps a route that combine quick and scenic? Is the Parkway the best or is there other options?

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
598 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Mount Vernon to DC

Hi Guta,

There are alternate routes that would be more scenic than traveling I95. Go to Mapquest and request driving directions between Williamsburg, VA and Mount Vernon , Va. Then select "advanced options" and click on "avoid highways". A nice map should appear with step by step directions for a nice scenic route.

Alternatively, another route would be to travel on Rte 5 from Williamsburg to Richmond, and then get on Rte 1 which will lead you almost directly to Mount Vernon.

MB

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
598 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Mount Vernon to DC

Almost forgot! Here is a web address to the Mount Vernon website with their list of nearby hotels:

hotel-systems.com/brandings/mountvernon/

You also asked about getting from Mount Vernon to DC. You can just take Rte 1 right into the city.

MB

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,257 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Mount Vernon to DC

Mt. Vernon to DC...at this point the Parkway might be worth the scenic drive. It's along the Potomoc, parks and picnic benches along the route where you can park and look around. A nice drive under trees that arch over the Parkway at one point. Once you pass Old Towne Alexandria there's a marina...just nice views of water and parkland.

If you're there very early and can get a sunrise photo over the Potomac...wow. People sometimes line up with cameras. Maybe they know the days when the sunrise will be especially blood red/orange. Those are the days I happened by at any rate. Really beautiful.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
598 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Mount Vernon to DC

As an aside here, a lot of people ride the metro into DC because of the parking issues there. Very convenient and easy. We rarely drive into the city anymore.

Do you like to ride bicycles? There is a beautiful bike trail, the Mount Vemon Trail, that runs along the Potomac into the city. In case you are interested, here's a website:

bikewashington.org/trails/vernon/vernon.htm

MB

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
206 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Mount Vernon to DC

I live 2 miles from Mount Vernon...so I can say from personal experience that the GW Parkway is the most scenic and quickest way into DC from Mount Vernon;)

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
91 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Mount Vernon to DC

Guta,

From Williamsburg for an alternative to the highway take route 33 to West Point and continue onto Glens and route 17 north. 17 will continue to US route 1 or Interstate 95 near Fredericksburg. Take either of these roads north and follow signs to Mount Vernon where you can pick up the GW Parkway.

There is a wonderful restaurant in Tappahanock (on Route 17) called Lowrey's. It is worth a stop.

If you detour north at Tappahanock, crossing the Rappahanock River. Route 3 west is an even prettier rural road and goes to Fredericksburg as well. From there you can head north to Mount Vernon and the Parkway.

10. Re: Mount Vernon to DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 pm, September 02, 2009