We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Black Forest, advice needed

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
20 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
4 days in Black Forest, advice needed

Hi!

We are traveling to Germany in July with 2 young kids age 2 and 5, we plan to spend 4 days visiting the heritage towns in Black Forest, starts from Basel and ends with Frankfurt. Few of the towns we have in mind are:

Freiburg

Gengenbach

Offenburg

Strasbourg

Baden Baden / Heidelberg

We are interested with Triberg and Titisee too but we don't want to over stretch ourselves and the kids. If possible we would like to stay 2 nights in each location (moving around with 2 kids can be tiring..).

Appreciate any expert feedback on:

1. how we should plot the route and which town is ideal to stay, personally we prefer home-stay / apartment near to nature?

2. Should we have picked different towns instead?

3. Late Jul, what's the real weather to expect in Black Forest? online website says between 26°c (day) to 15°c (night), looks rather warm...

Thanks in advanced!

Cheers,

PH

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,846 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in Black Forest, advice needed

3. There is quite a difference between the Upper Rhine Plain (Basel, Freiburg, Offenburg, Strasbourg) and the heights of the Black Forest (e.g. Triberg or Titisee). The Upper Rhine Plain is the warmest area in Germany. Can get quite hot in July.

Will you travel by car or use public transport?

I would pick 2 bases. Somewhere near Freiburg and Gengenbach which is a good base for Offenburg, Strasbourg, Triberg, the Vogtsbauernhof Black Forest Open Air Museum and Baden-Baden.

Here a website with some ideas / destinations with the kids.

http://www.black-forest-travel.com/leisure/

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
20 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in Black Forest, advice needed

Hi Abalada,

We plan to rent a car from basel. Thanks for the link & recommendation, will change to have Triberg included in our route as the kids very much long for a cooler weather (it's all year long summer here in Malaysia)

Thanks,

PH

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in Black Forest, advice needed

Stay in Gengenbach. Look up accommodations at www.stadt-gengenbach.de. Part of the site has English. Look for ferienwohnung (vacation apartments). Often less expensive than a hotel and much more space. Lots of them in town and surrounding area. You might want one that is at a farm (bauernhof).

If you think the boys would be ok with it, try the luge (sommerrodelbahn) at nearby Gutach.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in Black Forest, advice needed

A few other comments:

Strasbourg is really nice, and as you know, in France. If you have a car, you may want to travel a bit in the Alsace area, and compare the east coast of the Rhine and the west coast of the Rhine.

You might skip, or lessen your time in Offenbach. It is a relatively small town used more for transportation connections than for sightseeing.

Baden-Baden and Heidelberg each require a full day, IMO. In both towns the tourist area is a bit of a trip from the main railroad station, so if you travel by train, you will need probably an extra hour i each to get from train to touring. At B-B most people want to spend a few hours visiting a spa, as well. It is worth it.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
20 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in Black Forest, advice needed

Thanks BigTyke, that is really helpful info as not all sites have English translation. Yes my duo shall enjoy luge, will include that into our itinerary. I'm also checking B&B on airbnb, hopefully can find a nice yet not too pricey accommodation. Thanks again!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
20 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days in Black Forest, advice needed

Thanks BigTyke, that is really helpful info as not all sites have English translation. Yes my duo shall enjoy luge, will include that into our itinerary. I'm also checking B&B on airbnb, hopefully can find a nice yet not too pricey accommodation. Thanks again!

Edited: 9:42 pm, June 08, 2014
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
20 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days in Black Forest, advice needed

Hi NYNM,

Thanks for reassurance on Strasbough, we really looked forward to the place!

Actually we have planned for 3N2D visit to Colmar by car on earlier days as we made Basel our base to travel to nearby places.

We have yet to plan our itinerary in Colmar but intend to make it a relaxing stay. Is there any nearby townships that are worth a day trip from Colmar (apart from Strasbough which we though it's more convenient to include with our Rain Forest visit)?

Thanks!

PH

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 days in Black Forest, advice needed

http://www.tourisme-alsace.com/en

I much prefer Strasbourg to Colmar, as it is larger and less touristy. You might want to look at Selesat.

Also, towns on the Wine Route:

tourisme-alsace.com/en/…

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,947 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 days in Black Forest, advice needed

Almost any town on the Alsatian Wine Route would be preferable to me over Colmar. These are lovely small towns and villages with well-kept old buildings, flowers and wineries. We particularly like Ribeauville and the Troix Chateaux Hotel which has excellent food.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
20 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 days in Black Forest, advice needed

Thanks NYNM & marcopolko, good thing that I have yet to confirm our accommodation in Colmar! Is there much difference in terms of cost of living between Colmar and other small towns such as Ribeauville? I compared prices of B&B in Ribeauville vs apartment in Colmar which I found on airbnb, the price seem to differs a lot...