We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time for skiing???

Which McGaheysville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
4 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Best time for skiing???

I have read some amazing reviews about the Massanutten Resort (a condo in the Summit) and would love to take my family on a ski trip there. My children have never seen snow, does anyone know the best time to go for a good chance of seeing snow??

2 replies to this topic
Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
28 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time for skiing???

Massanutten is a nice resort and if you have some beginner skiers they have some mild ski runs as well. As for snow...well, the mountains of Virginia don't attract that much snow each year - of late our winter's have been pretty mild. However, the resort does make their own snow when temperatures are low enough. So although it's man-made snow, and you'll have snow on the slopes - you many not have any in the complex or on the roads which, argueably, makes it feel like a nice winter spot. Virginia may get some little snows (2" or less) as early as late-November; ocassionally the same amount in Dec. (infrequently do we get a white Chirstmas)

So, to answer your question in a short reply: I'd look at Jan-early March as your best chance of any snow on the mountains that isn't man-made.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
4 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time for skiing???

Thank you so much. Actually my girls have a long weekend in mid-Jan. maybe I will try then. We are coming from FL and didn't get any snow on our trip to NY last year. Hoping for better luck this year. Either way we always have a great time.

Reply to: Best time for skiing???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted