We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a few hours

Which Lynchburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
Level Contributor
30 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
a few hours

I will be traveling 3 hours to visit my daughter at Lynchburg College. I will only have 2-3 hours to spend time with her before I have to head back. Do you have any ideas on what we could do/see? It will be in late July.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a few hours

With such a short time, I'm surprised you want to do anything at all. But that's me -- I think Poplar Forest is very interesting. It's Thomas Jefferson's summer home, and his outdoor bathroom is still there. There's something fabulous about standing there staring at that hole, contemplating TJ reading the morning paper. (Seriously - there's more here than a john.)

Virginia
Level Contributor
30 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a few hours

I have know idea what is even in the area. She is going to a governors program for 4 weeks and parents are encouraged to check them out for a day in the middle. She is only 15 years old. I just know that I wil miss her like crazy and 3 hours there and back is a lot. But ...where can I take her for a few hours?

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a few hours

Oh ok -- I thought she was in college there.

You might check www.lynchburgonline.com for a list of attractions and events.

Virginia
Level Contributor
30 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a few hours

Do you have any suggestions?

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,411 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a few hours

Well, at 15 she might just like one of the malls and going out to eat. Sounds like you might prefer some relaxing re-bonding sort of time rather than site seeing. There is an indoor-type mall with a food court and detached restaurants but the most popular spot is a combo big box store strip and restaurant row with about every restaurant and store you can think of...almost. It's the other side of town from Lynchburg College so she might not get there much with her class group. If she has a favorite few stores and a favorite restaurant it might be something for both of you to look forward to while she's away.

There used to be a J. Crew outlet on the Lynchburg/Forest line. Haven't shopped there in a while so I don't know up to date info on that.

Do you have to go right back? Sometimes colleges have extra rooms to rent out if you could stay overnight.

Virginia
Level Contributor
30 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: a few hours

Thnaks! Could you tell me where the outdoor mall would be? Or the name of a few of the stores so I could look it up? I didn't know that you could possibly stay overnight at soem colleges..will check that out.

Again, thank you!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,411 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: a few hours

I've done it in my travels. A low cost solution. But the caveat is that so many colleges now have summer programs that fill rooms and some don't have a/c. Have no idea of the LC accommodations.

There is a beautfiul hiking/biking trail too but some women I know like to go there when it is busier, like a Saturday, or with a group.

The mountains would be about 40 minutes away...beautiful but I think you want a tad more downtime with your daughter and yet nice stuff to do.

There may be a festival down at the Lynchburg riverfront if you're going on a Saturday. The outdoor big box mall is called Wards Crossing. Beside it is another much shorter big box strip. Both are very popular. The Lynchburg area is full of families and college students who go to the many colleges in Lynchburg and even come from colleges outside Lynchburg.

Wards Crossing has Barnes and Noble, Bed, Bath and Beyond, Pier One, Target, Petsmart, nice Hallmark, Michael's, Best Buy, and places to eat in a row. Separate and closer to the road are a ton of restaurants...Olive Garden, Logan Roadhouse, Ruby Tuesday, Cracker Barrel, O'Charley's, Texas Roadhouse, etc. Across the street is a Golden Corral and others. Elsewhere in town are lots more restaurants, but that's Lynchburg's 'restaurant row' as its called.

The one beside Ward's Crossing and across a street has Old Navy, Kohl's, a Ross Dress for Less, and a couple of other stores very popular with the teenagers.

Look at the college site for maps:

http://www.lynchburg.edu/x1223.xml

You might see if this number is of any help with rooms: Office of Parents Programs (434) 544-8660,800-621-1669,Fax (434) 544-8596

E-Mail to: parents@lynchburg.edu

Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
496 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: a few hours

If you're wondering about shopping and restaurants I have written insider pages on each here on this website. I haven't updated them in a while (I've been meaning to! -- a couple of things have changed) but it might give you a good idea of Lynchburg as a whole. But exployer is right; the Wards Road area of Lynchburg is certainly the most popular of places to visit, and probably easier too. I have lived here nearly all my life, but I have had many tell me that Lynchburg can be quite confusing to navigate. Feel free to ask me detailed questions if you have any. I drive by LC every day on my way to and from work so I can certainly help with the area.

Virginia
Level Contributor
30 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: a few hours

Thank you so much. Now I am wondering if we should make it an overnight trip .I was thinking maybe checking her out...and driving to Natural Bridge. Not sure if that is feasable...just would like us to see something and spend time with her. Then back to Lynchburg for dinner and maybe we could swim at a hotel.Any ideas on Nat. Bridge?

Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
496 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: a few hours

I haven't been up there in many years so I can't tell you from recent experience, but it can be quite a drive there. Going on 2 hours each way probably. Perhaps you might be interested in visiting the Blue Ridge Parkway? It might not be quite as interesting, but I have always enjoyed the area. You could go north of the Big Island area where there are some great trails & overlooks, or go to Bedford and get on at Sharp Top Mountain. They have a nice restaurant right there and you can either hike the mountain or take a bus most of the way up. Beautiful views of Bedford County!

Just a suggestion...