We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honky tonk bars

Which Galax hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
16 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Honky tonk bars

We are really looking forward to our trip to  Virginia in two weeks. 

We like to "live on the edge" a little. I was wondering if anyone can tell us where to find  bars in the vicinity of Fries or Galax that are of the "honkytonk" vibe. Back in the 80s we found a wonderful authentic place in Tennessee outside of Sevierville that was just for locals and we had the time of our lives.

5 replies to this topic
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honky tonk bars

Fries and Galax are mostly known for their local music (bluegrass/old time). Not sure if that is what you are looking for in 'honkytonk'. If you check out any of the local jam sessions or music festivals, you are sure to meet some locals and have a good time. Floyd, Va has jam sessions and music at the Floyd Country Store - check it out on Youtube and see if it looks like your kind of place. Floyd is about an hour from Fries.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
16 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honky tonk bars

Our problem is that we can't get to Floyd until Saturday and their big thing is on Fridays...and then there's FloydFest that weekend on top of it all. Nowhere to stay for miles! Which is why we're heading further south.

While we're choosing either Fries or Galax for their little shows, neither town looks all that happening after you see the shows, which end at 9pm on a Saturday nigh. That's why I'm looking for a little gin-joint-honky-tonk kind of hole-in-the-wall bar for some Saturday night "action". (At least a place to hang out and have a beer!)

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
16 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honky tonk bars

we are now adding Abingdon as a possibility for saturday night as well as Fries and Galax, so if there is something in that area. We would be attending the jam at Capo's at 6:30, but again, I assume the night's over by 9:30.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honky tonk bars

I forgot about the Floydfest. You are right about most things ending before 10PM - maybe everyone wants to be wide awake when they drive home over the windy mountain roads.... It's a shame you aren't coming during the Galax Fiddler's Convention - lots of music and partying goes on half the night at Felts Park. Maybe next trip.

Haven't gone to the jam in Abington. It will probably end fairly early, too. Hope you find a place to hang out afterwards and have a beer. Fries isn't that kind of place, and the only bar I've seen in downtown Galax probably closes early. There is a coffeehouse (Stringbeans) that stays open in the evenings after shows - musicians jam there. Probably not what you are looking for. There are probably places to have a beer in Galax - just haven't visited any of them (we have a cabin in Independence). Maybe you can call the Visitor's Bureau and see what they say.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
16 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honky tonk bars

yeah, our timing is truly off, but if we enjoy ourselves, we can plan better next year! I appreciate your input. and I will be sure to let you know if I DO find something.

the roads are really that windy, huh?

Reply to: Honky tonk bars
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Galax