We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to George MAson University

Which Fairfax hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to George MAson University

We are going to a concert at GMU on a Friday evening at 7 PM. We will be coming around the beltway from the Woodrow Wilson Bridge side. We will be coming at rush hour. Given those conditions, which of these 2 routes is a better choice off of 495: Braddock Road or Little River Turnpike? Or is there a better option?

6 replies to this topic
Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
207 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to George MAson University

I would go down Braddock, its the first one you will get to.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to George MAson University

Which of the 2 ways is less congested at that time or is it 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

Springfield, VA
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to George MAson University

Braddock Road is the best option.

Little River Turnpike takes you through the City of Fairfax and, if you're not familiar with the route, it's easy to get lost going through there. It turns into a one-lane road within the City and at times it's a one-way road. Signs will route you around the one-way parts, but you have to be scrupulous in following them and if you're in the wrong lane when a turn comes up you'll be out of luck.

I live off of Braddock Road. There will be fewer traffic lights than on Little River. Even at rush hour, Braddock moves, even if it slows a bit in places.

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
397 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to George MAson University

Third vote for Braddock.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to George MAson University

Thanks, and specially to Carol757. I lived in the area over 20 years ago and wasn't sure what traffic was like now. I had completely forgotten about how Little River Turnpike snakes through Fairfax. Braddock Road it is.

Springfield, VA
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to George MAson University

Glad to be of help.

Reply to: Getting to George MAson University
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted