We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Chincoteague. Suggestions please?

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
43 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Chincoteague. Suggestions please?

My husband & I have decided to visit for a weekend on July 20th &21st. We have booked a hotel on Maddox (the Days Inn) for the night. We plan to arrive early (by 9:00am) on Saturday & I was thinking of checking out the beach & nature trails. I admit I am a bit confused & am trying to read as much as possible on the area. We want a relaxing trip, but like to stay busy. I was thinking of renting bikes for some of the trails (we don't usually bike though) & think we would like to see Assateague also. What are some not to be missed things? What beach areas would you suggest for a quiet time? Any information would be great or even links to some informative websites. I have lived in Va Beach my entire life & this will be the first time to the Eastern Shore & going on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. I know, it's sad. Thanks in advance!

Mechanicsville...
Level Contributor
223 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Chincoteague. Suggestions please?

When I go to the Chincoteague, I always bring my bicycle. The refuge is very flat and easy to ride around. If you’ve never climbed a lighthouse, the Assateague Light is usually open to climb for a small fee and the views are worth it!! The Forest Trail and the Wildlife Loop can be walked, or ridden on a bike. After 3PM you can drive on the Wildlife Loop. Whatever you do, bring insect repellent – the mosquitoes of Chincoteague can be a real problem, especially in the wooded areas.

The main beach area can get crowded on weekends, so I like to take my kids to a less used area of the beach that is only accessible from the Wildlife Loop – the trail to the beach is on the park map. People can walk to this spot from the main beach, but it’s a long walk so most don’t bother. Getting there on a bike is easy – just bring water and whatever you want to eat.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
43 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Chincoteague. Suggestions please?

Thanks! So is the Wildlife Loop & beach at Chincoteague or Assateague? I will look up & download a park map & maybe that will clarify some things for me too. Thanks for the heads up about the mosquitoes, they eat my husband up here, so he'll be a goner there.(they don't usually bother me) Is there a place to park near the Wildlife Loop? Is it possible to park there, then be able to access the trail to the beach?

Also, if we are staying on Maddox, is there anything to walk to in the evening? I was thinking of having dinner at Captain Zach's Seafood (I know it's outdoor seating).

Chincoteague Island
Destination Expert
for Chincoteague Island
Level Contributor
505 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Chincoteague. Suggestions please?

Hi- Chincoteague & Assateague are both long, skinny barrier islands off the Eastern shore of VA. Chincoteague is closer to the mainland and you connect by the causeway & bridge. This is where the town is - where you will be staying. There are lots of activities, shops, restaurants, etc. Chincoteague is entirely in VA, Assateague lies to the East and is larger - it is partly in MD and partly in VA. You connect via another bridge from Chincoteague to the southern part of Assateague. No one lives here - it's National Wildlife Refuge and park. This is where you'll find the Refuge, trails, ocean beach, wild pony herds, lighthouse, etc. You can rent bikes on Chincoteague, close to the Assateague bridge & ride all over - as mentioned, it is flat and that's a great way to explore. You also can bring your car onto the refuge and drive around to get your bearings before you decide if you're up for the bike ride. I suggest that you make the Chamber of Commerce your first stop upon arrival on Chincoteague. They can give you maps and explain the layout to you. Just drive straight when you get off the bridge on Chincoteague - the Chamber office is on the traffic circle on Maddox Blvd. (aka Beach Road). Hope you have a fun and relaxing visit!

NewJersey
Level Contributor
122 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Chincoteague. Suggestions please?

There are a number of places on Maddox to eat -- depending on where you stay. Starting at the Refuge and going west -- The Chincoteague Diner, McDonalds, Famous Pizza, Woodies BBQ, The Village, AJ's, Smokies, Marias and Steamers are all on Maddox . Zachs, Pauls Kitchen are just off Maddox

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
43 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Chincoteague. Suggestions please?

Thank you very much for the information, it's all coming together. Tina56_8, this is exactly the information I was looking for. You definitely clarified the area for me, thanks again.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Chincoteague. Suggestions please?

Tina56_8 and 1967 foodie- Thanks! The info you provided was helpful to me and my husband, too, as we plan a quick getaway to the island. :)

7. Re: First time to Chincoteague. Suggestions please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 04, 2014