We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions for Summer

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
117 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Questions for Summer

Yes, I am one of those tourists from the city planning to come to Chincoteague this Summer. We will be traveling with an 8 year old child. We are looking at some places right now and want to reserve. We intend to come for Pony week and again at the end of August, maybe early Sept as NYC schools get such a late start this year.

Here are my questions;

Is canoeing feasible or will we get rocked all over by the motor boats?

We have a canoe and want to use it for the pony week to watch the ponies swim and are looking for a place to stay where we can use the canoe everyday. I am wondering if we stay on the West side of the island, will we have a far paddle to get to the beach and other things?

Can we crab over there? We've never crabbed but really want to try and catch & cook are own crabs. I'd love any info so we are prepared.

Is there other types of fishing? Do I need a license?

What about shopping? Is there a place to get fresh veggies or should be bring our own?

Biking:

Is it safe to bike along Main Street? For an 8 year old? 7

Accommodations:

Where would be the best place on the Island to stay if we want to do a lot of biking, go to the beach on bikes, canoe and crab with a child in tow?

Are the mosquitoes as bad as they say?

What might the days after Labor Day be like? Will everything be closed?

Kids:

Where can we find other children for ours to play with? Are there any types of kids programing? day camps? things like that that we might send her to?

Sundial Books
Gift & Specialty Shops
MamerSass
Gift & Specialty Shops
Pony Tails
Gift & Specialty Shops
Flying Fish
Gift & Specialty Shops
Uncasville...
Level Contributor
273 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Questions for Summer

Rent on North Main Street or Salt Marsh. Rent a house such as Blue Pointe Bayside or other home overlooking the bay.

The wildlife loop at certain hours of the day does not allow cars so perfect for biking or walking. I do not recommend biking the loop during the time that cars are allowed.

Uncasville...
Level Contributor
273 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Questions for Summer

The nature center does have some family programs in the evening such as slide shows about ponies etc....

Build A Pony store is there for a cute take home stuffed pony that a child designs their own.

There is a store off of Maddox that a child can take a pony ride and in the evening they host a small horse show in an indoor area.

There are some small grocery stored in town and some bigger ones outside of town.

You can buy great fresh seafood to cook at many local ships and stands. Also, some great ice cream places!

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
117 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Questions for Summer

Thank you, we are in Chincoteague now. I'll post some reviews later. It's not easy to find a restaurant open after 8pm. The early AM pony round up and beach run was great fun. Misty of Chincoteague purchased from the nature center on Assateague is in our hands and we're making plans to attend the film. We are now official pony chasers.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
117 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Questions for Summer

Also, where and when are the twice weekly farmer's markets? Where are the food markets with fresh vegetables? I was hoping ,since we are here in season, that there would be plentiful locally raised food as we usually find when we travel. We couldn't find it, today. i'd like to find some food that is not fried, healthy things like salad and fresh organic produce.

Edited: 7:30 am, July 23, 2013
Chesapeake City...
Level Contributor
289 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Questions for Summer

I was down there last week and if I recall correctly, there was a produce stand on Beebe Rd

Chesapeake City...
Level Contributor
289 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Questions for Summer

I also recall seeing a place called Sea Star Cafe that was a gourmet cafe on Maddox. You might try that.

Chincoteague Island
Destination Expert
for Chincoteague Island
Level Contributor
511 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Questions for Summer

Hi- The Farmer's Market is behind Don's Seafood (on Main St) and are every Wednesday and Saturday morning. There are produce markets on the corner of Beebe & Main St, on Ridge Road just south of Pony Swim Lane, on Church St (GIANT one called "Church St Produce") and several 'pop-up' stands that are put up as the farmers have fruit & veg available. Sea Star is a sandwich shop - not a market. However, Poseidon's Pantry (between Mr. Whippy and the Creamery on Maddox) has a lot of gluten-free and other fresh & veggie options.

18. Re: Questions for Summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 25, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Chincoteague Island