We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are insects a big problem in Chincoteague?

Verona, NJ
2 posts
Save Topic
Are insects a big problem in Chincoteague?

I'm considering taking a trip with my family to Chincoteague but was told they get tons of mosquitos. Is this true? Is it worse there than in the surrounding areas?

West Chester...
Level Contributor
18 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Are insects a big problem in Chincoteague?

Might your dates be off? There were none all summer due to the drought. Then they hatched when rains came right before Labor Day weekend.

Wooded areas or marshy areas can be a concern, so you might want to visit during the fall, winter or spring or in the summer stay by the water and get a screened porch or balcony for your next visit if you're coming just after a good rain. Otherwise most places will be fine.

Glad you enjoyed the beach -- Assateague National Seashore is very special!

Chincoteague and Assateague do a great job balancing our enjoyment of nature with amenities which we've all come to expect.

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
124 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Are insects a big problem in Chincoteague?

That's an understatement, but things have gotten much, much better over the years. They spray everyday for them, would it keep me from going? No way. I went every summer for 20 years and love it there, use off or something similar. Not bad in the day but at night, watch out.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Are insects a big problem in Chincoteague?

Tina, it wasn't just me. Our whole family of eight was blessed with this Chincoteague phenomenon.

We vacationed at the Jersey shore from 1990 to 2011, at various times from April thru August, and never had a mosquito experience like the one last August in Virginia. So I expect we'll be visiting a different locale in the future.

14. Re: Are insects a big problem in Chincoteague?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 17, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Chincoteague Island