We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where on Chincoteague to rent a house

Which Chincoteague Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
5 posts
Save Topic
Where on Chincoteague to rent a house

Hi. I plan to go to Chincoteague for a week and want to rent a house. I have twin 3 year olds. i would like to be able to walk to some things so i do not always have to get in my car. is there a bay beach? how bad are the mosquitos in july?

I saw a house on salt marsh that looked nice or north main street...where are these locations? where is that cutesie ice cream shop owned by the teachers?

thanks for any info!

Pa.
2 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Where on Chincoteague to rent a house

ramblereba, Its a great place to take the kids. A lot of homes are witin walking distance of the town and the attractions. Great food places. Need car to get to the beach. Its located on Assateaque Island which is over the channel bridge. About a five minute ride. Great secenery. If you rent a home get one with a screened in porch.

Bugs are only bad in the wooded areas. See a real ator for a selection of nice homes. Look in the internet Fall is a great time. Its not so crowded. It is family orientated. Have been going there for about 20 years.

Irishcarver

Pa.
2 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Where on Chincoteague to rent a house

ramblereba, Its a great place to take the kids. A lot of homes are witin walking distance of the town and the attractions. Great food places. Need car to get to the beach. Its located on Assateaque Island which is over the channel bridge. About a five minute ride. Great secenery. If you rent a home get one with a screened in porch.

Bugs are only bad in the wooded areas. See a real ator for a selection of nice homes. Look in the internet Fall is a great time. Its not so crowded. It is family orientated. Have been going there for about 20 years.

Irishcarver

West Chester...
Level Contributor
18 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Where on Chincoteague to rent a house

We actually had our vacation rental house (Spinnaker in Oyster Bay) architecturally designed and built with the Chincoteague mosquitos in mind:

--location not on or near any marshy areas

--lot was not reclaimed wetlands ... had always been above water

-- had lot professionally graded to avoid puddles before building

--bulkheaded waterfront to avoid the swampy areas

--house located as close as possible to the water for breezes

--no outside shower to create breeding ponds (we provide hose for washing boats etc)

--screened in porch is a must and we even had screening underneath the floor decking

--wooden boardwalks from car to house and from house to boatdock to avoid walking in grass at dusk

--built on pilingsso that all balconies & decks are above the lower 'mosquito line'

--all opening windows with full screens

I didn't want to have to spray my kids with chemicals all the time, and what we've done isn't perfect but has worked well for us and our guests.

From fall to early spring mosquitoes is usually not a problem -- I personally wouldn't worry about staying in even the marshy/wooded areas during those times and there are some lovely properties in them.

Keep in mind that every section of Chincoteague Island is different and salt marshes etc. are in numerous areas and not just up off of North Main St. and where you want to stay and walk during mosquito season can impact your vacation. One afternoon last May we were giving a friend a tour of the island and he got out of the car to grab a real estate brochure for beautiful waterfront lots and almost got eaten alive -- it took us two days before all of the mosquitoes that got into the car were dead! This would not be an area you'd want to walk even during the day with your children whereas other areas could be. Google maps might help you choose areas.

Don't know of any bay beaches .....non-bulkheaded waterfront properties might work if there's no mosquitoes and the kids could just explore wearing old sneakers. Or when they become swimmers they may enjoy swimming from docks/bulkheads.

The island sure has good ice cream .....we also enjoy the Island Creamery -- hard to leave the island without stopping there at least once!

Chincoteague and Assateague are special no matter where you stay -- Enjoy!

Pat

14. Re: Where on Chincoteague to rent a house

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, August 17, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Chincoteague Island