We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Assategue Island Photos

Which Chincoteague Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Assategue Island Photos

Hi

We've been visiting Chincoteague and Assateague Islands for 20 years. During that time we've taken a bunch of pictures that stayed in our albums. I finally sucked it up and put a bunch of them on a web site. There's pictures of Chincoteague, birds, ponies, ponies, pony penning, sunrises, etc. If you want to see a different kind of East Coast beach, you might enjoy it.

The link is

www.AlandSueJohnson.com

On the first page, pick Assateague Island, VA from the choices.

This isn't associated with Chincoteague or Assateague and it isn't a commercial site. I suppose its me showing off some of the pictures. Mostly not art but should give you a good sense of what is there.

Trip Advisor has several reviews of the hotels and restaurants on Chincoteague.

If you like it, there's no charge for leaving a message in the guestbook.

Cincinnati
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Assategue Island Photos

Thank you for posting the website for the pictures. They are awesome! My family are traveling there June 14th. Our daughter loves horses! We are first vsiting Virginia Beach. We were thinking of staying 3 nights and then heading to Chincoteague. We are thinking that we may enjoy Chincoteague more than Virginia Beach. What do you think? Thanks again and if you have any other information, please let us know. I know we are going to stay at the Refuge Inn.

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Assategue Island Photos

I like Assateague and Chincoteague much better than Virginia Beach or Ocean City but that's just me. We don't spend much time laying in the sun so we like having all the trails and paths to walk on. My girls both liked it but at the time they didn't know any better. They enjoyed some of the ranger programs too.

The Refuge Inn is nice. You shouldn't have any issues staying there.

One thing you should be aware of is that my pictures make it look like Assateague is crawling with ponies. They are a bit harder to see up close than it might appear. If yo're lucky, there will be some loose. If not, you can walk up to see the Northern Herd. I think the web site explained where they are and its pretty good walk.

Cincinnati
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Assategue Island Photos

We are relly excited. My children are nature kids anyway, so they can't wait. My husband and I will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary also and this vacation spot seems a little less congested than Virginia Beach. Thank you so much for the information.

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Assategue Island Photos

Wow, nice pictures. Brings back a lot of memories. I visited there with my parents way back in '83 or '84. My dad would never be prepared with having a place to stay researched for our vacations. They would just pick a location, drive there, and then look for a place to stay once we got there. Made life interesting on more than one occasion. They always liked to get an efficiency, but by the time we drove all day to get to the new uncharted territory, it was difficult to find a place. So the year we went there, the first night we stayed in a Motel. I don't remember the name of it, but I can still see it. I remember the spraying for mosquitoes, and the white shell driveways seemed so odd to me. Then the next morning my dad went out early and found a little mobile home park that had weekly rentals. We had the most wonderful time on that trip. We'd have a leisurely breakfast at the trailer, then go for a drive, and head over to the national seashore and look at the horses on the way. I remember lots of people flying kites on the beach. Then about 1 p.m. we'd go back to the trailer for lunch and have a nap or read for awhile, then we would go look for a place to have dinner out and explore some more. We also went to a place where there was a lighthouse not near the water. That was a neat place.

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Assategue Island Photos

chorusgirl

Its changed a bit since you were there but you'd still recognize it. Its still a neat place. When we were there with our girls, we frequently camped.

Where are you in Upstate NY. We get to Ithaca, Dryden and Moravia occasionally. My brother-in-law lives in Dryden and is a professor at Cornell.

Glad you liked the pictures. Its a wonder you're not in some of them. Our oldest girl would have been 5 or 6 when you were there.

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Assategue Island Photos

I'm south of Rochester, so I'm familiar with the Ithaca area.

Get answers to your questions about Chincoteague Island