We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

waterfront summer home rental

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
waterfront summer home rental

We are looking for a waterfront home to rent this summer on Chincoteaque Island. We've never been there before, and would like any suggestions on area rentals. We had a bad experience renting a townhouse in Atlantic Beach, North Carolina. There were roaches all around the premises, and when we complained to the realitor she replied "well honey, this is the South!" I'd like to be near the water, but I don't want to bring any unwanted "guests" home with me either! Any experiences positive or negative in Chincoteague?

richmond,va
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: waterfront summer home rental

We have a waterfront home for rent in Chincoteague. I personally have never seen a roach in Chincoteague, it's more well known for mosquitos..

If you'd like to know more about the house, it's listed on VRBO.com #51846.

Our house has 3 BR, 2.5 baths, screened porch, decks.

Chincoteague...
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: waterfront summer home rental

We own a waterfront rental home on the quiet East side of Chincoteague Island, with a private, lighted dock and fantastic water views looking across at the Assateague Lighthouse.

Eagle's View has 4 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, a loft, a dramatic interior catwalk, deck, balcony, etc. Our house does get booked early each year, so I suggest you look at it soon. Our website is www.bayfronthouse.com.

Good luck! You'll love Chincoteague and Assateague Islands. Don't miss the new Bateman Educational/Visitor Center; it just opened last year and is a delight!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
11 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: waterfront summer home rental

Are there any homes with pools? Or how about waterfront homes where you can swim in the water. I don't want to drive the children to Assateague from morning to night for swimming. The Chamber of Commerce already told me that there is no public swimming pools in town, so I've ruled out renting a house in town. Do not want to stay in a motel room??

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: waterfront summer home rental

jayvee, I rented a house in Chincoteague and never saw a roach. You just got a bum deal in Atlantic Beach and a stupid realtor to boot. Her response would make you think we all have roaches and that is certainly not the case!

Maryland
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: waterfront summer home rental

We've rented from two agencies, and had widely different experiences. Chincoteague Resort Realty was fantastic. They were very freindly, answered our questions about parking and such immediately, provided us with reciepts every time we made payments, and provided a helpful packet about the island on arrival. Our house was immaculately cleaned on our arrival, and the staff was very corteous. I would reccomend this agency to anyone.

Sadly, we had an altogether different experience with Harbour Rentals and will not rent from them again. They did not provide a reciept confirming my payment, even when I asked in writing (which makes me uncomfortable when exchanging hundreds of dollars, why can't I get a reciept? It's a 37 cent stamp and some paper.). They state that it is policy, and they can't give a reciept every time someone makes a payment. I still have a copy of their letter stating this. The staff is not freindly.

When we arrived at our rental house (Misty Haven), it smelled strongly of mold. There was grass and dirt in the beds. Hair on the wall in the downstairs bathroom. Dust on the coffee tables, on the floor, windowsills, baseboards, etc. A brown smear in the upstairs shower stall (YES, quite funny! Insert mental picture here!) The throw rugs were dark with dirt. The kitchen floor had at least a month's worth of dirt. The refrigerator had food remnants in it, and its side shelves were duct-taped together. The pillows on the beds were moldy, and one of them reeked of sweat (gag!). I cried (and laughed) the first time I walked thrgouh this house, considering I spent $925.

My sister scrubbed the kitchen floor on her hands and knees and scrubbed out the refrigerator. In fact, we spent entire first day of our vacation cleaning the house, scrubbing the bathrooms, dusting, washing the throw rugs, and vacuuming. We did not complain about the dirt because it was a Sunday when we arrived, the office was closed, and we just figured "Hey! Chalk it up as a learning experience, we won't rent from these guys again!" We are not a complaining group of people, generally- if we have a bad experience, we just don't go back!

Before I say the next thing, let me say in all of my ten years of renting, I have NEVER had a deposit withheld. Ever. It's one of the things I take pride in. My husband and I scrub a house from top to bottom, every nook and cranny before we leave.

So, you can imagine the irony: despite our cleaning this property both at the beginning and the end of the week, we were told by Harbour Rentals that our deposit was withheld because of excessive damages and the dirtiness of the house. We called them to get an explanation, and it turned out to be a very unpleasant experience (but consistent! They were rude as usual!).

While it's too late for us, I'd just hate to see this happen to someone else, and them go through the same hassle we did, when there's so many other top notch agencies on this beautiful island where you don't have to spend your vacation cleaning, or getting charged for bogus 'damages'.

We learned our lesson! We are sticking with Chincoteague Resort Realty or Island Getaways from now on!! We are also going to take thorough pictures of a property at the beginning and end of a stay. It's terrible that a person has to do this, but it's scary to think that the agency could pretty much say anything and you have to protect yourself to make sure you are not charged for something you did not do. Good luck!

Get answers to your questions about Chincoteague Island