We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pony Swim 2010

Which Chincoteague Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Pony Swim 2010

I'd expect an extra 5,000 to 10,000 spectators this year, thanks to the article in last Sunday's "Parade" magazine.

I like the idea I just found in an old thread: Watch them swim back instead....fewer horses but about 75% less crowded.

NewJersey
Level Contributor
122 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pony Swim 2010

ABSOLUTELY!

The event can draw many thousands of people -- and the only way to see it if you don't all ready have reservations with a boat, or a boat yourself, is to stand and wait for "slack tide" -- which is not an exact time.

In order to be closest to the swim you will find yourself standing in marsh and/or the water itself -- and if its hot this is not great when you are hemmed in by 20,000 people or so.

Many of the boat captains might still have space for the swim back -- its the same thing, but only about 5,000 people show up. There are a few less horses (some have been sold) and they swim in the opposite direction -- but other than that its the same.

I've seen both -- and the swim back is a far more relaxing experience!

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pony Swim 2010

Pretty sure the swim back is only the southern herd. For the northern herd, they've already gone on a long walk down the beach and to the pens before swimming across. They truck them back to give them a break.

The northern herd requires a long walk or tour bus to see, usually. You take the service road north from the wildlife loop and walk up there. Bikes and other vehicles not allowed. From the wildlife loop parking lot, its about an 8 mile round trip.

Here's a link to pictures of the southern herd heading back. Not near as many ponies but still cool.

alandsuejohnson.com/assateague%20folders/pon…

NewJersey
Level Contributor
122 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pony Swim 2010

Trying to walk to see the northern herd at this time of year or in August would be almost suicidal if it is hot. The bugs are intense and there is no shelter. The bus is air conditioned, and the rangers know where they horses are. While it might be fun in fall or spring -- avoid hiking out there in the dead of summer -- you will NOT enjoy yourselves!

The swim back is exactly the same feel as the swim over -- as I said I have seen it both ways and would recommend the swim back. If you can really differentiate between 200 ponies swimming in one direction versus 125 swimming in the other direction, then I supposes there is a difference -- but it doesn't seem worth standing in muck in 95 degree direct sunshine to me!

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,752 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pony Swim 2010

And now this article in the LA Times! latimes.com/travel/…7639870.story

5. Re: Pony Swim 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 21, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Chincoteague Island