We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Vacation Rental Recommendations - Family of four

Baltimore, Maryland
1 post
Save Topic
Need Vacation Rental Recommendations - Family of four

First time visitors to Chincoteague with 2 boys 12 and 4. Looking for nice rental for Memorial weekend - Sept 2nd through the 5th.

Any recommendations? Is memorial weekend considered peak season?

Thanks in advance for input

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,862 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Vacation Rental Recommendations - Family of four

That is Labor Day weekend, and it often is considered peak, though there are exceptions. Chincoteague has some reputable property rental companies. Personally, I can recommend Island Property Enterprises. We used them in 2007, and will be renting through them next year, too.

NewJersey
Level Contributor
122 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Vacation Rental Recommendations - Family of four

I would also recommend Island Property -- 757-336-3456.

You can check their website or call them for advice -- they have an excellent selection and a helpful staff.

Chincoteague Island
Destination Expert
for Chincoteague Island
Level Contributor
505 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Vacation Rental Recommendations - Family of four

As an alternative to Island Property - I always recommend Chincoteague Resort Realty 1-800-668-7836 - I've always found them helpful, professional and knowledgeable. As for Labor Day weekend - it's the last holiday of the season, but you should be able to get a good selection since some kids will already be back at school. September is really beautiful here!

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,862 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Vacation Rental Recommendations - Family of four

If you haven't found it already, the Chincoteague Chamber of Commerce website has a lot of helpful information: http://www.chincoteaguechamber.com/

Ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Vacation Rental Recommendations - Family of four

I am from Ohio, and we go to Chincoteague every year for vacation. If you are looking for a newer construction home to rent that overlooks the bay, I recommend a house named "Easy Livin'." It is on Main Street, but quite a distance from town. This rents for $660 for a weekend during peak season.

We rented this home from "Chincoteague Island Vacation Cottages" http://www.chincoteagueisland.com/ and have been very happy with the cleanliness and service of the all the properties we have rented from them. This company is great when you want to go away for a mini-week or weekend. Most companies make you rent the whole week during peak season.

Beware of properties that allow pets. Sometimes they are dirty and smell like animals. That is, unless you are bringing yours!

If you want a quiet location on Chincoteague where your family can ride bikes to the beach, I recommend finding a house on Piney Island. There is a bike rental company very close. You need to know what roads are located in Piney Island while searching for your rental: Meadow Dr., Oak Dr., Cedar Dr. and Pine Dr.

The other reputable companies that have a wide range of rentals to choose from are: Chincoteague Island Vacation Cottages, Island Getaways, Island Properties and Harbor Rentals.

Good luck, and I hope you have a wonderful stay!

Felton, Pennsylvania
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Vacation Rental Recommendations - Family of four

Definitely Island Getaways. www.Igetaway.net They do not charge you the outrageous security deposits like the other companies mentioned they hold your CC # and will charge it $100.00 if you mess something up but if its ok they just rip up the # and you are never charged so you dont have to wait a month to get your money back. I recommend Seabright through them great for your kids they have a fuse ball and pool table on the 3rd floor we stay there every year at Memorial weekend and Labor day but are not going this year so its probably still available unless other family of ours got it who are going. Talk to Bill Tell him Nicole from Pa. sent you.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
5 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Vacation Rental Recommendations - Family of four

I just booked a vacation. I went to www.vrbo.com (vacation rentals by owner). You can enter your dates and it will give you the exact availability. We dealt directly with the owner, negotiated the price a bit, and he called his rental agency on the island approving the price. We then dealth directly with the rental agency on the contract, etc. We booked last week for a mid August date. Also, we could not stay the week and the owner gave us a 1/7 of the weekly rate credit for the 2 nights we can't use.

8. Re: Need Vacation Rental Recommendations - Family of four

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 24, 2011