We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beautiful island close to home

usa
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Beautiful island close to home

After reading the reviews on here I decided I must put up a message.

Chincoteague/Assateauge Island is on the Eastern Shore of Virginia and away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. If this is what you are looking for then this is a place for you. Also famous for the annual pony round up and auction.

I have rented a couple properties from various owners and have never had a problem. All the units have been spacious and clean.

The town is small and quaint with restaurants, shops, coffee shops, art galleries and ice cream shops.

The beach is beautiful and serene. There are no structures or nonsense on Assateague Beach. This makes it so wonderful for relaxing to enjoy the sand and surf.

A minimal entrance fee is required you can buy daily, weekend or week passes. Or the yearly duck stamp that is good at other state parks. The drive to the beach is fun and can be done by bike. We look for different bird species, turtles, flowers, and of course the ponies. Parking is pretty much on-site so that is convenient. There also is 4x4 access.

Other activities are biking, walking, shelling, fishing, kayaking, boating and so on.

There are two mini golf courses, go carts and a game room. I have photographed the best sunsets and sunrises along the bay and the ocean. Stargazing is awesome here due to the low lit areas. If you're lucky maybe you will experience a meteor shower, just amazing.

Mosquitos are bad at during the summers remember it is an island and surrounded by water with a lot of marsh land.

We still get out and about and do things. They seem to be at the max from sundown to dusk.

We bike ride in the morning hours. There are adequate trails to take for the beginners. The Wildlife Loop is around 3 miles long and mostly in the sun. The Woodland Trail is shady. There is a lighthouse you can visit (under renovation).

During the summer months there is a trolley that is available throughout the island.

Our favorite place for ice cream is Mueller's but there others to choose.

The restaurants do leave a little to be desired but there is enough to satisfy your hunger and thirst.

We did not enjoy AJs (had Shrimp Scampi and it was something we have never seen before). Woody's BBQ is awesome. Chincoteague Inn and Capt Fish's are on the bay and have an outside patio bar. Chincoteague Inn had one of the best bands I have ever seen (Power Play).

Bill's Restaurant and the Island Cafe are on Main Street and enjoyable.

Etta's on East Side Drive is only open for dinner only. Used to be open for breakfast which I enjoyed but no longer. Sea Shell Cafe looks good but haven't tried it yet.

Don's is also good and has a bar for your nightlife cravings.

Off the Island you have Wrights and Ray's Shanty.

The Pony Swim/Auction is held yearly and the last week of July. Fun experience (by boat seems like the best way to see it).

In the winter months to early spring you might get lucky to view on the video TV at the Visitor Center the Eagles nesting and maybe viewing their birth and growth. This year two babies were born and survived.

Chincoteague/Assateague Island is truly one place you must visit in your lifetime. You won't be disappointed if you just go and enjoy the wildlife, nature and beautiful sunsets/sunrises.

Thank you.

1. Re: Beautiful island close to home

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, March 22, 2010