We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pony sighting please

Lebanon, Connecticut
Level Contributor
22 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
pony sighting please

Our family is planning on spending one night at the Hampton Inn Chincoteague then on to Virginia Beach. My 10 yr old daughter wants to see the ponies in the wild. Would we need to book a tour to see the ponies or could we bike/walk to an area to view them?

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pony sighting please

You can just ride through the Wildlife Refuge and see the ponies as well as other animals. Go around 5:00 or so when the deer are coming out to feed.

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pony sighting please

I'm responding to an old post so I don't know if you'll see this or not.

Look at www.AlandSueJohnson.com to see many pony pictures. I tried to explain where we saw them.

If you go again, you can walk and almost be guaranteed of seeing ponies but its a long way.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
886 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pony sighting please

when i was there, i remember seeing the ponies far off in the distance while driving through the park on the way to the beach. and while hiking around, you can see them as well in the distance.

i took a bus tour through the park, and that was the best (and only way for me) to see them up close. the tour is good because it takes you through all these places you might not see normally, and you can see some corrals and such, and the ponies come right up to the bus. you can get the tour at the museum that's located in the park.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: pony sighting please

Yes, you can see many while driving about on Assateague.

Clarksville Maryland
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: pony sighting please

If you drive along Eastside Drive on Chincoteague...you can always see them.

Chincoteague...
Level Contributor
12 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pony sighting please

I don't know about driving down East Side Drive, but you CAN see wild ponies next to the bike depot and mcdonalds on maddox boulevard. The horses are owned by the Refuge Inn next door, and are wild but used to people (OK to pet and feed)

You are also guaranteed to see the ponies on the Monday and Tuesday before Pony Penning, and then also Wednesday and Thursday at the carnival grounds on Chincoteague.

Get answers to your questions about Chincoteague Island