We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Part of the Island to stay on?

Which Chincoteague Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Part of the Island to stay on?

We are thinking of visiting for a long weekend and intend to ride bikes the whole time. Where is the best area of Chincoteague to stay that is easily accesible to the shop, beach and Assateague.

Thanks!

ohio
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Part of the Island to stay on?

Hi!

We are getting ready to head to the island for our 5th time. Although we haven't ever done the bike riding thing (our kids are small), I would recommend the area of Maddox Rd and Deephole. There are several rentals as well as private motels. You would be about half way between the beach and downtown, about all of Maddox is lined with shops and places to eat. Many bike rental places, too. If you get further sounth on on the island (south of the bridge), you would have quite a ride to the beach, plus there aren't as many businesses, mainly residential. Hope this helps...and have a wonderful time!

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Part of the Island to stay on?

Thanks for your help!

Washington, DC
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Part of the Island to stay on?

I agree with the previous post that the Maddox/Deephole area is best. Depending on when you're going, don't neglect to look at rental houses on the north side of the island and on the side streets in town. Maddox is easily accessible via a few backroads, and it's quieter than on the Maddox strip. Been going to Chinco for over 25 years, and it hasn't really changed all that much. If you prefer to avoid the wet t-shirt contests and fried food smells of Ocean City, you'll be happy.

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
119 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Part of the Island to stay on?

I have been to chicoteague every year for the past 25 years, and have stayed in almost every place on the island.

I woulds choose a place on Maddox Blvd, for easy access to beach, check the listings a pick one, Island Motor Inn is nicest but not close to beach.

Get answers to your questions about Chincoteague Island