We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the best place to go to see wildlife?

Alexandria, VA
2 posts
Save Topic
What's the best place to go to see wildlife?

My girlfriend and I are planning a romantic trip to the Island this weekend, and we're trying to plan ahead.

What would be the best area to see wildlife? Assateague National Park better or Chincoteague's park?

Also is it worth going on the tours or can you see enough on your own?

Thanks a ton!!

Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the best place to go to see wildlife?

When you get onto Assateague Island, you can't really tell where one park ends and the other starts. Doesn't really matter.

You'll likely see ponies on the drive to the beach. When you come to the first open area on the right, look to see what's there. There are usually ponies in there but they may not be real close.

You can walk the wildlife loop (just watch for the sign). In the morning, its a nice place. No cars until after 3:00PM. Mostly you'll see birds. We have seen bald eagles in there too. Occasionally a pony but you couldn't count on it.

When you go around the wildlife loop, you'll see a dirt service road with a gate. If you're up to a long walk, heading up that road is one of the better ways to see ponies. From the parking lot, its between 8 and 9 miles round trip. Take mosquito repellant too. They can be bad in spots. Its a pretty walk. When you get to where there's water on both sides, you should see ponies. Should be several foals too. Never a guarantee but the chances are good.

My opinion would be no on the tours but that's just me. You might enjoy a kayaking tour with one of the guides over there. Fun and a good way to learn about the area. Possibilities of seeing ponies but hardly a sure thing.

We put a bunch of pictures from that area on our web site. If you're interested, check www.AlandSueJohnson.com

Click on Assateague Island, VA in the menu.

2. Re: What's the best place to go to see wildlife?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, August 31, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Chincoteague Island