We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning event - what to do?

Which Charlottesville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Planning event - what to do?

Hi - I'll be planning an event in the area during early Fall. I'll have one day to organize something fun for males/females. Anyone have any suggestions on where to go or what sort of afternoon event to go on for a group of about 30 - 40 people? Some sort of historical tour or other group tour that would be of interest to a broad range of people.

I've never been to Charlottesville so any suggestions you have would be great.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning event - what to do?

Monticello - home of Thomas Jefferson - lunch at Michie Tavern.

Charlottesville, VA
Level Contributor
74 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning event - what to do?

Have you considered a wine dinner at one of the wineries? Where are you staying? King Family, Cardinal Point, Jefferson Vineyard, First Colony, to name a few. You can also go to

www.virginiawines.org/wineries/index.html

and email them to see what kind of wine dinner/cooking class or whatever you could arrange. You don't mention any budget so the above that I have suggested are different price ranges. You would need to rent a bus to transport to and fro but should be easy enough to do. This way the winery can do all the arranging for you. We have great caterers who could come and do a cookout.

For those who don't like wine you could arrange for beer or cocktails with a day license which the caterer could do for you.

Best regards,

Erika

Arcady Vineyard Wine Tours

Charlottesville, VA

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,415 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning event - what to do?

You might even have two tours arranged for two types of weather, just in case. At any rate, it being early Fall, the leaves may already be changing in our Blue Ridge Mts. and that might be of interest to your group. The mts. are very high and offer spectacular views at the pull-offs here and there. There are places one might arrange for meals along the way. This could be combined with the vineyard loop.

I'll get more info on that...have it but not right beside me at the moment.

Aside from the leaf-peeping and high places, I know friends from Houston are often sort of intriqued just at the thought of driving on hilly roads. Your group might enjoy the backroads as well.

All this on the way from vineyards to Blue Ridge.

This would need to be arranged in advance since autumn is a big time for the Blue Ridge Parkway in this area.

At the stop offs for, say, meals, some might rest, look in a gift shop at a ranger station or lodge and some might opt for an easy route following one of the wildflower trails, or possibly something a bit more strenuous to get out the kinks and yet not too far away from the rest of the group. Some people love to watch and listen and talk and others truly get physical and mental 'cramps' without some exercise.

There's also a wonderful closed off street of historic buildings that offer shopping...and indoor ice skating so that the group could choose what they like.

I'll try to get back to you tomorrow.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,415 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning event - what to do?

Our friends from Houston seem to enjoy the historic aspect and the mountains in general. They also enjoy the autumn 'back east'. So here is some info you can look into on those scores:

Monticello.org (Jefferson's home)

montpelier.org (check the directions and map first on the site so you can see it's not right in Charlottesville...but not far for Madison/history lovers.)

Depending on time, interest and where you will be you might look into these vineyard tours. Incredibly, Virginia has 100 vineyards now. The largest cluster is up and down - loosely - Rt. 29 from south of Charlottesville to far north of Charlottesville.

You might try: Monticellowinetrail.org. Click on 'trails' for the breakup of the various collection of vineyards....in that area there are 21. The western ones will take you toward the Blue Ridge Mts. Others could be combined with historic tours.

You might explore this site for the Blue Ridge:http://www.blueridgeonline.com/

Two other places of interest:artisancenterofvirginia.org, which is along Rt. 64 west of Charlottesville, and virginia.edu/kluge-ruhe, where John Kluge compiled one of the foremost private collections of Australian Aboriginal art in the world.