We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some jhelp in planning route to Charlottesville please

Herts, UK
Level Contributor
124 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Some jhelp in planning route to Charlottesville please

Hi - a little insight please.

We will be travelling from Boone area to Charlottesville Sunday August 26th.

GoogleMaps offers 3 alternative routes - a northerly route following I-81, a 2nd through Greensboro towards Greensboro and then US -29 and a 3rd that loops to the east after Danville on US 421. All between 5 and 6 hours long.

We will have spend a full week on the BPR in the Asheville and Boone region so sight seeing is not top priority but we'd prefer scenic and quiet to built up and busy.

So any help on the plusses and minuses of each would be welcome - or indeed alternatives not considered by Google Maps

Many thanks

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,470 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some jhelp in planning route to Charlottesville please

The funny thing is the route that can be quick if you catch it at the right time is a super highway which runs between mountain ranges and farms....that is Rt. 81. North of where you'd exit I have seen cows very close to the road, homes almost distractingly lit for Christmas and wonderful barns and acreage for miles and miles and hot air balloons and mountains either side...and I'd wish there were places to pull off to take pictures but it's a super highway.

Traffic can get busy on it and it's a favorite north/south route but we have found trucks are more predominant as the day goes on. If you can be on that stretch mid morning to mid afternoon that would probably be a good time. Trucks are more scarce on Sundays as well.

Then your shot over to Charlottesville on 64 is a good one. Also a major road, strait, don't recall a single stop light and wonderful bright reflectors for when it gets foggy. I hate driving blind so I have often appreciated those.

29 does have the bypasses now like around Danville and Lynchburg so it's a lot better than it used to be as far as stoplights. I think you can't avoid Madison Heights just north of Lynchburg and that has lights and then the road opens up gloriously to lovely greenery...farms, old properties, and be very very mindful of your speed since law enforcement keeps close watch on that.

Edited: 2:36 pm, August 13, 2012
Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,856 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some jhelp in planning route to Charlottesville please

If there isn't much difference in the time element, I'd avoid I-81 - it's horrible most of the time. Route 29 is great. Very little traffic.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
317 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some jhelp in planning route to Charlottesville please

I agree with Explorer, I-81 is the best route. It's faster and is a scenic route. The other routes can be very frustrating with slower than slow traffic at times and multiple lights.

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some jhelp in planning route to Charlottesville please

I-81 has statistically TWICE the proportion of tractor-trailers in its traffic, as other interstate highways do, according to an article in the Washington Post paper.

Herts, UK
Level Contributor
124 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some jhelp in planning route to Charlottesville please

Wonderfully diverging opinions - LOL! But thanks for the efforts and suggestions

Think we've decided to stay on BRP and / or 221 for as long as possible and make a stop at Mabry Mill. Of course on the morning itself our B&B hosts may throw a curve ball and suggest something completely different. Gotta stay flexible :-)

Thanks

6. Re: Some jhelp in planning route to Charlottesville please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, August 20, 2013