We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Charlottesville, VA: hotel, food, activity ideas?

wsp
San Francisco
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Charlottesville, VA: hotel, food, activity ideas?

I'll be visiting Charlottesville, VA, the first week of March. Before reading the forum here warning against the Hampton Inn on India Dr. (NOT the university one), I reserved that very hotel. I'll be traveling alone, and am worried, after reading about the neighborhood. I noticed those posts were 3 years old. Has it improved since then? Looks as though people are rec. the Omni; however, the guest reviews on that hotel sug. that they have a problem w/ the rooms being too hot.

I'm coming to help my law student (UVA) son get a well-deserved break (spring break for the law school). Do you have ideas/recommendations re: things to do, good places to eat? Is there a good theater (musicals, plays) or place for fine arts events? Any outdoor fun things to see/do, or is the first of March too cold?

I have never been to Charlottesville, and he has been spending his spare moments in the library, so we could use suggestions.

Thank you so much: I love this forum!

wsp
San Francisco
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Going to Charlottesville, VA: hotel, food, activity ideas?

Oops! Correction. The daily deal was through The Hook daily deals, not LivingSocial.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Going to Charlottesville, VA: hotel, food, activity ideas?

Bluegrass is a good place for breakfast. C & O and Dowtown Grill are very nice for dinner. DT has great steaks and seafood.

Bluegrass Grill and Bakery @ 313 2nd St. SE, Charlottesville, VA 434 - 295 - 9700.

C & O Restaurant @ 515 E Water St., Charlottesville, VA 434 - 971 - 7044.

http://www.candorestaurant.com/

Downtown Grille @ 201 West Main St., Charlottesville, VA 434 - 817 - 7080.

http://www.downtowngrille.com/

wsp
San Francisco
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Going to Charlottesville, VA: hotel, food, activity ideas?

Thanks. The DT Grill has cool music on their website page. Both of these restaurants (C&O and DTG) look wonderful, albeit a little pricey. Are there good restaurants that are more economical?

Charlottesville
Level Contributor
336 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Going to Charlottesville, VA: hotel, food, activity ideas?

Off the top of my head, here's a quick list of some of my favorite cheaper places to eat in Charlottesville.

1. Continental Divide (upscale tex-mex for $10-15 entrees - they don't take reservations and it gets really busy so go early - before 6 or 6:30)

2. Maya Restaurant (for their Tuesday night special of $12 for 3 course meal - other nights is pricy to go to - it's an expensive upscale southern restaurant.

3. Milan (for lunch - Indian restaurant that does a great upscale all u can eat lunch buffet with multiple rotating dishes for $9)

4. Thai 99 (they do a great chicken pad thai for under $10)

5. Sticks Kebob Shop - I like their shrimp kebob with red pepper sauce and rice with their killer hummus for $8 or 9)

6. Zazus (burritos/wraps for $7 or 8)

7. Wild Wings Cafe (for their all u can eat buffalo wing buffet for $9)

8. Wayside Take Out (for fried chicken and other southern food dishes for under $10)

9. China King Buffet (all u can eat lunch buffet with sushi, mongolian bbq, chinese for $8 - they do a surprisingly good salmon nigiri for a buffet)

10. Marco y Lucas (small to go type shop that only serve chinese dumplings and char siu baau type pork buns but are cheap and really good)

11. there's a number of decent cheap Mexican restaurants - I usually got to Guadalajara's, Amigos, and Aqui es Mexico). $5 lunch specials or $8 for dinner. though none are nearly as good as any California taqueria.

A lot of people also like Jinx's bbq and Christian's pizza, which are both fairly cheap.

Edited: 2:51 pm, February 11, 2011
wsp
San Francisco
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Going to Charlottesville, VA: hotel, food, activity ideas?

What a great resource you are! Thank you!!

I got a daily deal for Brookville Restaurant, close to the Omni Hotel, I think. Are you familiar w/ that one?

Edited: 2:25 am, February 12, 2011
Charlottesville
Level Contributor
336 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Going to Charlottesville, VA: hotel, food, activity ideas?

No, sorry, never eaten there.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,223 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Going to Charlottesville, VA: hotel, food, activity ideas?

Stayed at English Inn this past July. It still seemed a little run down and had a water leak from room above one night. staff was pleasant and breakfast was good. Don't know if the renovations were done since then.

I posted a review on July 6.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Going to Charlottesville, VA: hotel, food, activity ideas?

Is your son a 1L? As a graduate of UVA Law, I remember my 1L year all I wanted to do with my first spring break was sleep! I seem to remember also that journal tryouts may have taken place over at least the back-end of spring break, so you may want to check with him (if you haven't already) about any school-related commitments he has that week and work around them.

In terms of your hotel questions, so long as you have a car the Hampton Inn on India Rd. should be an OK base for you. It's a completely uninspired place in the middle of a strip mall, so hopefully you're not going to plan on spending a lot of your time there. The English Inn is much closer to the law school, but sufficiently far out of walking distance that you'll want a car if you stay there too.

For restaurants, Charlottesville is a great place to eat. I wouldn't worry too much about planning your meals in advance; most restaurants aren't going to require reservations during spring break. At least once you should plan on visiting "the Corner" near the heart of the University ("central Grounds"). There are a number of places to eat and drink there, which I'd hope by now your son has become familiar with. In particular, Littlejohns is a 24 hour sandwich shop that's worth a visit. Arches is a frozen yogurt place that I used to love for dessert. I think they still have two locations -- one on the Corner and one closer to the law school on Rt. 250.

While touristy, I would recommend a drive to visit both Monticello (Thomas Jefferson's home) and Ashlawn-Highland (James Monroe's home). They are located sufficiently close to one another that you can do both in a single day. Both feature extensive grounds and gardens, so go on a day when the weather is nice.

19. Re: Going to Charlottesville, VA: hotel, food, activity ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, October 17, 2012