We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting from UK

Leighton Buzzard...
Level Contributor
23 posts
205 reviews
Save Topic
visiting from UK

Hello everyone. Husband and I coming over to USA last week of Aug for 2+ wks. Last yr in June went to Asheville, NC and North Myrtle Beach, thinking seriously about Charlottesville as a base for first week. Need some serious help on where to stay - needs to be close to some good food! - and any other help you can give us. What is the weather like in Sept? in case you're wondering, can't miss the soccer World Cup hence the later visit this year! regards to you all

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting from UK

Hi again KokoLB - I just wrote a dissertation about VA Beach for you, so I promise to keep this one short and sweet. Check the website for the South Street Inn (southstreetinn.com). Even if you don't stay there, you'll enjoy reading the innkeeper's recommendations for restaurants and activities.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting from UK

There are lots of family/budget style hotels since that area is a magnet for families who visit Monticello and other historical sites. There are some B & Bs and downtown are a couple of more upscale hotels catering to business. Be sure to eat at Michie Tavern for a taste of colonial dining. Best wishes.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting from UK

So much available in that area. The Blue Ridge Mts., wineries, countryside, history, architecture, art, Jefferson's University - The University of Va., Jefferson's getaway from Charlottesville's Monticello, Poplar Forest in Forest, just outside Lynchburg, about an hour south. Lynchburg has more historic districts (since in the mid 1800s it was the second wealthiest city in the US many mansions were built and many remain), and nearby Lynchburg are Appommattox and the National DDay Memorial. This Memorial is just before you get to Bedford, because Bedford lost the most men from one town in the D Day battle. Charlottesville also has shops, a downtown historic mall area with the street closed off for blocks so that it's used by pedestrians. Indoor ice skating rink (icepark.com).

Washington DC is about 2 hours north.

Famous residents include Sissy Spacek, John Grisham, Jan Karon, etc.

Charlottesville was named #1 Small City in the South by Money Magazine; is #8 on Mountain Bike magazine's Best US Cities for Mountain Bikers; #2 Best Climate on the East Coast; and #2 Healthiest Place to Live by Kiplinger Personal Finance Magazine.

www.charlottesvilletourism.org/

Charlottesville also has a small airport for ease in making quick trips if you like: gocho.com/index2.php

Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting from UK

I recommend the area between the Downtown Mall and the Corner Area. Its location has access to everything. Great restaurants are within walking distance and it alleviates the pressure of finding parking near the campus of UVA and the Downtown Mall. Examples include the Hampton Inn and Suites on Main Street and the Courtyard by Marriott. On either end of the spectrum are the Red Roof Inn on the Corner whose accomodations are good for a budget but aren't too outstanding, or the Omni Hotel at the end of the Downtown Mall that are nice but I feel a bit overpriced. This area is great for food since it's near so many of the good Charlottesville restaurants, and the others are within driving distance.

In September, the weather has been extremely temperate the last few years. I remember wearing shorts and sandals well into September. I would expect weather in the high 60s to low 70s. Extremes could probably range from the 50s to 80s, but I think early September is still summer in Charlottesville.

Also, for World Cup action, I know that I personally like the Mellow Mushroom for soccer since I watched the Champions Cup from there last year on their big screen. I don't know how good the coverage will be at the normal sports bars, but I had a good time there last summer.

Get answers to your questions about Charlottesville