We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asthma and Allergies in Charlottesville, Va

Tellico Plains...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Asthma and Allergies in Charlottesville, Va

I desparately need to get out of E Tn due to the fact that I am allergic to every hardwood, weeds and grasses here. I have 2 horses and need a place with land.

What I want to know do any locals have this fight every spring/fall with allergies and asthma. Is it a little different allergy enviroment there. My home is up for sale and think about moving to Co. but like Charlottesville much more.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Wheezing Lily!

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
317 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Asthma and Allergies in Charlottesville, Va

I moved here from Massachusetts and never had allergies until I moved to Charlottesville. We have a very high pollen index compared to other areas- mostly due to the pine trees. I think you would need to spend a good amount of time during peak seasons to see if it bothers you.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Asthma and Allergies in Charlottesville, Va

There are survey groups that list cities with things like least polluted, fewest allergens. I believe the ...is it lung association..puts out something. You might search that way.

I have found living anywhere you get used to things and respond to allergens if you're given to allergies. Best scenario might be living two or more places each year, avoiding their growing seasons or tree/plant dying seasons.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,994 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Asthma and Allergies in Charlottesville, Va

This is probably probative of not much, but Charlottesville is the only place I've lived where i had to regularly clean the pollen off my car in the spring. It's an incredibly green, lush area, which looks lovely but would cause me to be concerned for anyone with severe tree and grass allergies. The flora and fauna Also strike me as similar to significant parts of lower elevation east Tennessee, but I'm not a botanist so I could be off base on that front.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Asthma and Allergies in Charlottesville, Va

Coming to any part of Virginia or the mid-Atlantic is not a good choice if your motivation to be in this area is to get away from allergies. I too am a horrible sufferer, and you will not find relief.

Look to go west-Colorado, Arizona, Utah, New Mexico...

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
282 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Asthma and Allergies in Charlottesville, Va

Years ago I developed allergies for the first time - when I asked my allergist why now he replied "Because you are over 30 and live in Virginia!!"

Nuff said............

Charlottesville
Level Contributor
336 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Asthma and Allergies in Charlottesville, Va

Guess I'm kind of late responding to this post, but I have to strongly agree about how bad allergies are in Cville. I always had bad allergies growing up in the northeast, but since I moved to Charlottesville, they've been much worse. I used to run outside a couple times a week, but i've found that with the exception of a couple months in the winter when it's real cold, and a couple months in the summer when it's real hot, i can't run outside without giving myself a chest infection. it's that bad.

7. Re: Asthma and Allergies in Charlottesville, Va

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:24 am, May 31, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Charlottesville