We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transport Charlottesville to Yorktown?

Eureka, CA
Level Contributor
311 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Public Transport Charlottesville to Yorktown?

I will be in Charlottesville for a wedding, but will be without a car. From Charlottesville I need to get to Yorktown to catch up with a cruise. What is the best/quickest mode of public transport from Charlottesville to Yorktown?

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,913 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Transport Charlottesville to Yorktown?

You can fly from Charlottesville to Newport News (CHO - PHF), but you have to change planes, and then take a taxi/car service to Yorktown.

You can go by train (Amtrak), but you have to go up to DC and then down again to Newport News and then taxi.

You can go via Greyhound bus, changing buses in Richmond. That's cheapest and fastest as well, about 4 and a half to 5 and a half hours. Then taxi to Yorktown. The station is called Ft. Eustis/Newport News.

Edited: 8:11 am, October 03, 2010
Eureka, CA
Level Contributor
311 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Transport Charlottesville to Yorktown?

Zoey, that is about as comprehensive and prompt a reply as I've ever seen! Thank you for the thorough presentation.

Any chance of my renting a car in Charlottesville and turning it in in Yorktown?

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,913 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Transport Charlottesville to Yorktown?

You'd have to return in Newport News, most likely. Check with Enterprise Hertz, Avis, etc. - the majors. I did a search on Expedia, and that turned up Hertz and Avis, but check Enterprise, too. They have offices in Newport News and Williamsburg, I know.

Eureka, CA
Level Contributor
311 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Transport Charlottesville to Yorktown?

That was a really good lead, Zoey. Looks as if the only company that has an office in Newport News open on Sunday (day I'd need to return it) is Avis. Thanks for the input.

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Transport Charlottesville to Yorktown?

most have a drop-key policy if you need to return it on a day that they are not open. Have done this several times, many companies.

Eureka, CA
Level Contributor
311 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public Transport Charlottesville to Yorktown?

Thanks for all who helped me here. I did get everything all lined up very nicely. Then I learned that my return flight, out of Baltimore, would be a nuke-or-grope choice.

I have cancelled my plans to visit the East Coast this June. I simply will not surrender my constitutional right to freedom from unreasonable search, especially not for the mere convenience of an airplane ride. Not while I live and breathe will I "Submit." The TSA has gone too far this time.

7. Re: Public Transport Charlottesville to Yorktown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, May 20, 2011