We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charlottesville/Monticello 2 Questions

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
7,211 posts
Save Topic
Charlottesville/Monticello 2 Questions

OK. I really hate these type of people who post questions at the last minute, but now I have to be one. :-( Hopefully, these are fairly straightforward and easily answered.

1. Does anyone know if they are still giving the Montalto tours at Monticello? I cannot find where you can reserve or purchase tickets in advance for them on the Monticello website, although they do reference the size of the tour and times. Are they simply purchased the same day as your visit (first come-first served, of course) when you arrive?

2. When I visit a new destination, I always attempt to try the regional cuisine particular to the area. I've been to Virginia before - but on the eastern seaboard. Is there anything special in this region which you could suggest?

Thanks so much for all responses.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
317 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charlottesville/Monticello 2 Questions

The last I knew, if you wanted the tour of Montalto, you purchased the tickets directly at the ticket office. They are not offered online. I don't believe there is a charge to climb it the mountain without taking the tour bus. It's about a 2 1/2 mile trek up a steep incline.

I really can't think of any "regional" cuisine that is particular to this area. For a small metroplitan area we do have a lot of good restaurants. You can find area restaurants on www.pursuecharlottesville.com and www.downtowncharlottesville.net (the website highlights our downtown pedestrian mall). However, many wineries have sprouted up over the past 10 years and they often have festivals and other events over the summer. I think of them as being part of the "flavot" of this area. You can check out locations and activities on www.monticellowinetrail.com.

Enjoy!

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
7,211 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Charlottesville/Monticello 2 Questions

I apologize for my late "thank you" for this response.

I was in your lovely area from the 20th to the 23rd - and you know how it is when you get back. Had such a wonderful time - too short, of course.

For the information of others: Montalto tours are no longer available.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,830 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charlottesville/Monticello 2 Questions

Thanks for the report back. We had visited Montalto on a fall visit a couple of years ago. The views are amazing, and I hope they will someday be able to make it available to visitors again.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
317 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charlottesville/Monticello 2 Questions

Thank you for the update. I'm glad you had a good visit. For people who want to hike, that's still an option at Montalto. Probably fall is a better time when it's a little cooler.

5. Re: Charlottesville/Monticello 2 Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 26, 2010