We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best restaurant at the downtown pedestrian mall area?

Clearwater, FL
Level Contributor
24 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Best restaurant at the downtown pedestrian mall area?

I was hoping that someone can help me here! I'm taking my mom to Charlottesville for her 70th birthday--going to Monticello again as well as the vineyards. I would like to take her somewhere really nice for her birthday dinner, particularily one of the restaurants in the downtown pedestrian mall area since we are staying at the Omni. I have read reviews of different restaurants, but am really torn---can anyone please help me?? Thank you so much in advance!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,999 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best restaurant at the downtown pedestrian mall area?

I haven't been there in a couple of years at this point, but C&O (one block off the far end of the Mall from the Omni) was my favorite restaurant in Charlottesville for a long time. If it is still there, and assuming the recent reviews haven't changed, it should be a good choice for a 70th birthday.

Hamilton's at First and Main was also excellent, with perfect service. For my wife's birthday there in 2005 or so, they brought out her desert plate not only with a candle in it, but with "happy birthday [her name]!" written in chocolate around the outside of the dish. It was a really nice touch.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,601 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best restaurant at the downtown pedestrian mall area?

We had a special thing at Hamilton's a couple of months ago and it was very very nice as well.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
317 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best restaurant at the downtown pedestrian mall area?

It's hard to recommend restaurants when you don't know what kind of food an individual enjoys and choices are so subjective. Across from the Omni is Escafe, always consistent and good quality- Continental cuisine. Fleurie and Cassis are both French restaurants with good food. C & O is also consistenly good with American cuisine. I have found Hamilton's to be over-rated for the money, but that's a personal opinion. Check out www.downtowncharlottesville.net to see a listing of most of the reastaurants on the Mall. If you're willing to go off the Mall for dinner, the Clifton Inn and Savour are excellent local choices.

Enjoy!

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
67 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best restaurant at the downtown pedestrian mall area?

My favorite is Bang. Asian small plates, delicious cold martinis. If I'm in the mood for something heartier, I go with Bizou. For hearty small plates, Zinc.

San Francisco...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best restaurant at the downtown pedestrian mall area?

Choose the "Downtown" neighborhoods on this Charlottesville restaurant site for more info than you'll probably know what to do with: http://mastomillers.com .

For my money, I like Ventana, but it's a crazy menu, not for everyone.

6. Re: Best restaurant at the downtown pedestrian mall area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 09, 2010