We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single woman-best place to stay?

Which Charlottesville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philly
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Single woman-best place to stay?

I'll be alone visiting my son at UVa one weekend in April. I may or may not have a car (may travel via train). Any thoughts on where to stay taking into account convenience, safety, and possibly availability of breakfast? Thanks!!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single woman-best place to stay?

Safety is not a huge issue in Charlottesville, particularly not near UVA, and particularly not when evaluating hotels that will satisfy the convenience factor. Assuming your son lives reasonably close to grounds, your best options without a car are (in order of proximity):

Red Roof Inn on the Corner

Marriott Courtyard (the one on the Corner)

Cavalier Inn

Hampton Inn Medical Center

The last time I stayed at the Red Roof it was starting to feel run down. Same goes for the Cavalier Inn. I've heard good things about the Marriott Courtyard, but not stayed there. The Hampton Inn is nice, but the furthest away and on a stretch of Main Street that can feel a bit desolate at night. I'd check all their reviews here on trip advisor and go with the one that offers the best balance of features for your budget.

The other hotels you can consider are the Boar's Head Inn and Omni. Neither are walking distance to UVa, so transportation may be an issue if you don't have a car. There are even nicer smaller Inns available in Charlottesville if that's your thing, but again they aren't walking distance to the school.

Philly
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Single woman-best place to stay?

Thanks so much for your ideas. I'll check out these hotels!

DocP

3. Re: Single woman-best place to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, September 09, 2010