We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montpelier Wine Fest or individual wineries?

Which Charlottesville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
117 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Montpelier Wine Fest or individual wineries?

Heading to area first weekend in May---was going to visit a few select wineries but now see the winefest is going on that weekend at Montpelier. Don't think we want to do both so would appreciate any advice or input on wine fest---too packed--too rushed? Or should we just stick to visiting actual wineries?

thanks

Charlottesville
9 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Montpelier Wine Fest or individual wineries?

Is this your first visit to the area? The festival from what I recall off the top of my head will be attended by has several very fine wineries that I have been to - Barboursville, Keswick, Kluge, Jefferson. Not all of them have the time or staff to do so.

I think you would have a greater experience of wine tasting than trying to drive from one to the other at the festival, but that depends on where you are staying. Are you staying in the Orange/Montpelier area, or are you staying in Charlottesville?

Best,

Erika

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
117 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montpelier Wine Fest or individual wineries?

Staying in Orange---only agenda is Monticello and wineries. Any advice for good BBQ in area would be great also! First time to area but will be there for 3 full days.

Charlottesville, VA
Level Contributor
51 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montpelier Wine Fest or individual wineries?

Larklaw,

This is a tough one. Montpelier is a beautiful place and well worth a visit on it's own merits aside from the festival. So I guess it comes down to what your real interest is, tasting as many of our wonderful local wines as possible in a convenient and beautiful setting or getting a feel for the individual wineries and soaking up the glorious countryside as you travel between them.

We are locals and usually do the festival to have a chance to sample the latest releases of our faves, but I love actually getting to the wineries and seeing the vines and talking to the folks about what they do at that particular vineyard.

You indicate that you will be visiting Monticello, there are several excellent wineries nearby including Jefferson Vineyards and Kluge Estates. You will have a unique experience at each of these and there are many more within easy driving distances. Make sure to allow yourself plenty of time at Monticello, probably at least half a day to take advantage of all that it offers.

As for BBQ, the only place in town I would recommend is Jinx's. Not a fancy place by any means, I would stop by and pick up some take out and head to one of our lovely parks. The cafe in the new visitor's center at Monticello also is very good.

You could not be coming at a more beautiful time, make sure you check out our downtown pedestrian mall for lots of great shopping and dining experiences.

4. Re: Montpelier Wine Fest or individual wineries?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:30 am, October 24, 2009