We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrack between Charlottesville and Washington D.C.

Which Charlottesville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denton, Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Amtrack between Charlottesville and Washington D.C.

How reliable is the amtrack schedule between Charlottesville and Washington D.C.?

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrack between Charlottesville and Washington D.C.

I'm not sure of what you mean by reliable, but if you're talking about being on time to the minute, I would not set my watch by it. I used to take the train often into/from Charlottesville when I lived there, and it was anywhere from on time to 30 minutes late. The problem in Virginia is that Amtrak does not own the tracks, and has second priority behind freight. If you mean does the train run, the answer is yes; cancellations are rare.

Denton, Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrack between Charlottesville and Washington D.C.

This helped a lot, thank you. When we head back to D.C., we'll be flying back to Texas, so I needed to know about the "30 mins late" and the "few cancellations." I'll allow plenty of time for our return to D.C. and our flight out of Reagan.

THANKS!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrack between Charlottesville and Washington D.C.

Yes, give yourself plenty of time. Don't know what the timeframe is that you are looking to travel, but be aware, once you get up the line before Manassas, then the commuter trains also use the tracks.

Not trying to freak you out, but the Virginia Railway Express has had some bad luck the last few weeks with breakdowns. Hopefully the run of mishaps is behind them.

This would only be of concern to you if you expect to be on the last leg of your journey between 5:00 and 10 in the morning on weekdays.

Denton, Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrack between Charlottesville and Washington D.C.

Would we be better off doing Amtrack back to D.C. on a Sunday morning, rather than a Monday?

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Amtrack between Charlottesville and Washington D.C.

Generally yes, unless it's a holiday weekend, then all bets are off. Plus this gives you a little more wiggle-room in your schedule.

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amtrack between Charlottesville and Washington D.C.

Is your return flight out of Reagan National DCA?? If it is, then you could save time by getting off your northbound train at the ALEXANDRIA Amtrak station (which is a very small, cozy building) and then walking directly across the street to the King Street Metrorail station and riding Metrorail only a few stops north to the Reagan National Airport station. Get off there and you will be right at the main airport terminal. This will save you having to ride into Washington's gigantic, confusing Union Station and then doubling back to DCA.

Denton, Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amtrack between Charlottesville and Washington D.C.

YES, we are flying out of Reagan. I appreciate the "heads up" and we'll get off at the station you suggest.

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amtrack between Charlottesville and Washington D.C.

Actually, it may take several minutes to walk around behind the Alexandria Amtrak station to the King Street Metrorail station, but the 2 buildings are still pretty close. Hopefully your arrival time won't be during crowded morning rush-hour. Each member of your party will need a separate Metro ticket from the vending machine located in the Metro station entrance. There are also taxicabs waiting in front of the Amtrak station at times when trains arrive, however, they might not be any faster getting to the airport than your riding MEtro.

9. Re: Amtrack between Charlottesville and Washington D.C.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 23, 2009