We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monticello Tours

maui
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Topic
Monticello Tours

Has anyone done the Monticello tour? I see that the house tour is 30 minutes, but I wonder how much time should I allow for the grounds and visitor center? I am buying timed tickets in advanced. We are planning on doing a Mother's Day brunch that morning and arriving at Monticello around 1. That leaves us 4 hours, which I imagine is plenty of time. I can buy the tickets for 1:30 and do the house first, or get later tickets and explore the grounds a bit first. Thoughts on this?

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,902 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monticello Tours

It doesn't really matter. I enjoy exploring the grounds after the tour, then walking the trail back down to the visitors center, but either way is fine. 4 hours should be sufficient.

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
414 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Monticello Tours

I spent the day at Monticello just last week. We arrived around 10:30, took the 11am tour (yes, it lasts 30 minutes) and then explored the grounds a bit before taking a 1pm Plantation Tour (lasts about 30-45 minutes, no tickets required). We did not take the gardens tour, nor did we venture down over to the Visitors Center, so I can't tell you how much time could be spent there. I think you are allowing yourself just enough time for your visit, if you don't spend too much time lingering in the gardens or the gift shop.

Keep in mind that you take a shuttle bus from the parking area up to the house and back. You can walk it, but it takes about 20 minutes for the return trip coming downhill. I wouldn't reccomend walking it up to the house, unless you enjoy a good uphill hike. The shuttle runs every 15 minutes, I think.

Lastly, a new visitors center is being constructed next to the parking area. I believe they plan to move the current one to this location next year. This will make it more convenient.

Enjoy your trip.

Level Contributor
503 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monticello Tours

I'd say do the house first--they give you some information you might find interesting while exploring the grounds. And make sure you give yourself plenty of time (30 minutes at least) before your ticket time--it takes a long time to get through the parking lot, ticket lines and the shuttle up to the house. The tours of the grounds are pretty frequent and worthwhile.

4. Re: Monticello Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, September 26, 2009