We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luray Caverns and Skyline Drive

Which Charlottesville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mount Laurel, NJ
Level Contributor
946 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Luray Caverns and Skyline Drive

Hi everyone - I will be traveling to Charlottesville (from a stay in the Gettysburg area) with my 18 yr. old son this June. We're staying at The English Inn in Charlottesville.

One of the places besides Monticello & Madison's house I'd like to take him is Luray Caverns with a drive on Skyline Drive. I'm just unsure of where to "get on" Skyline Drive to go to Luray Caverns. I've looked at a map from AAA, but must be missing something . . .

My son will be studying photojournalism in college and I think this would add some great photos to his portfolio.

I appreciate any help you can lend.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luray Caverns and Skyline Drive

Luray is in a valley between the ridge where Skyline drive is and Masanutten mountain. There are basically four places to get on SLD:

South end, or North end (Waynesboro/Charlottesville area and Front Royal respectively) and 33 between Elkton and Ruckersville and 211 between Sperryville and Luray.

There are lots of ways to get from here to there.

Things to think about would be, where are you coming from? Will you already be in Charlottesville, or are you planning on stopping in Luray on your way from Gettysburg? FWIW, Luray is somewhat "on the way" to C'ville from Gburg.

The other thing is that it is slow driving on SLD. The speed limit is no more than 35 mph (to my recollection) and there are countless switchbacks and hairpin curves. If you get behind a pokey car, i.e., and RV, going uphill, you could be hopelessly stuck at 15mph for who knows how long.

It is well worth it, but if you have to be somewhere, don't expect to drive it one end to the other in a few hours.

I would suggest if you are based in Charlottesville, to travel up 29 to Madison, and get on 231 to Sperryville and then cross SLD and down via 211 to Luray. Then on the way back, get on SLD at 211 and head south. If you are finding the drive arduous or taking too long, you can get back off at 33 and go to Elkton and down 340 back to Waynesboro and around 64 or take 33 east to Ruckersville and then back south on 29 to C'ville. If you are enjoying SLD and want to keep it up, then continue past 33 to the end at 64.

The drive in this area is gorgeous-through valleys and up on SLD-regardless of the route you take-you will see lots of good stuff.

Mount Laurel, NJ
Level Contributor
946 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luray Caverns and Skyline Drive

Thanks so much for that!! I'll just re-work our trip a bit and "do" the Drive & Luray Caverns on our way to Charlottesvile. We'll just leave Gettysburg a bit earlier and not take too much time at Harper's Ferry so that we will be able to enjoy the drive and a tour through the Caverns.

Thanks again - I really appreciate it.

BTW, we're planning on ending up in Alexandria (after a visit to relatives in Richmond area) for a few days in DC. I'm really getting excited about this trip, now!! Only about 122 days to go!!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luray Caverns and Skyline Drive

Harpers Ferry is just a teeny blip of a town. Very beautiful area, but you can take it all in without needing much time.

When you leave, just take 340 out towards Charles Town. Cut south on 340/9 back into Virginia, through Berryville and it will meet up with/share 522 south of Winchester. Keep on 340/522 to Front Royal and stay on 340 south of Front Royal to Luray. 340 goes right into Luray. It will be a very nice drive. Should take you less than 2 hours.

Mount Laurel, NJ
Level Contributor
946 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luray Caverns and Skyline Drive

That's just awesome!! Thanks so much for your help - I've finally gotten a better map and can follow your directions MUCH better now. Thank you.

5. Re: Luray Caverns and Skyline Drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, September 20, 2009