We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charlottesville recommendations

Which Charlottesville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
645 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Charlottesville recommendations

Hi Everyone

Our family is traveling to Washington DC, Williamsburg and Charlottesville in August (yes, I know it will be hot, but this is the timeframe that works best for us), and I need some recommendations for lodging in the Charlottesville area. My husband and I visited years ago (pre-kids, who are now 11 and 14) and stayed at the Prospect Hill Inn, but I don't think that is appropriate for children.

My husband will be working for part of the day so it is essential that we have high speed internet in the room and of course since kids are involved - TV (which I think rules out most of the charming inns!).

Ideally we would like two connecting rooms or a suite that sleeps four. Keswick Hall is completely booked for the time we will be there and the Boars Head Inn seems to garner some pretty nasty reviews.

Any and all input is welcomed!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Charlottesville recommendations

Well, they'll certainly get a feel for the old southern days of plantation life. When we enjoyed the pool it was an infinity pool and so quiet with all that property around.

Charlottesville, VA
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Charlottesville recommendations

The Clifton Inn is beautiful. Great restaurant. No arguments, there. But it's not really a kid place. More a "romantic, couples getaway" place, and not at all in Charlottesville proper. It's basically in the country. Granted, you can reach downtown inside of about 15 minutes, non-rush-hour. But it's a huge hassle to try and find parking downtown. An advantage of the Omni. But, again, can't say a thing against Clifton Inn. Gorgeous place. But I would never have thought of bringing kids there. Frankly, I think they'd be a bit bored. And the restaurant is rather posh. No way they're going to be running in there in jeans. But you know your kids better than I do!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Charlottesville recommendations

Well, for the reason Pretty suggests, that's why I didn't suggest it. When we've been there, pre-dinner gathering was in one parlor and the lovely multi-course meal in the restaurant, nary a child in sight. Perhaps California isn't eating at Clifton Inn much.

California, just curious so I can use the info for my own edification and info sharing....I am wondering since you feel Prospect Hill isn't appropriate for children what about Clifton Inn got you to choose them? They are both fine, lovely places.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
645 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Charlottesville recommendations

We don't plan to spend much time in downtown Charlottesville and prefer to stay at unique hotels and inns, so that is why we opted for the Clifton. Our first choice was Keswick Hall, but it is completely booked for the nights we needed.

We don't plan to have meals (other than breakfast) at the Inn.

A few reasons for choosing Clifton Inn over Prospect Hill:

Prospect Hill does not offer a rate that does NOT include dinner, and truthfully I don't think my children would appreciate the fine dining experience!

The Clifton Inn is substantially more updated and modern.

And the final reason - there are no Televisions in the rooms of the Prospect Hill - which would be torture for the kids.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Charlottesville recommendations

Good to know. Yes, they have updated. A wonderful setting. Enjoy.

Maryland
Level Contributor
55 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Charlottesville recommendations

Well, CaliforniaLori - it's August so I don't know if you've already gone, are there now, or are planning on going soon. If you didn't already get all the information you needed, I can give you some ideas. My boys and I are going w/ my husband to Charlottesville on his business trip next week and we're staying at the Hampton Inn & Suites at the University. From the research I've done, the location seems great - there is a trolley you can hop on and a shuttle service from the hotel. The downtown area (fairly close by)looks really great - shops, restaurants, some museums I believe and lots of parks all around the city. So if you want a great location and a hotel with lots of great reviews try H.I.&S.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
645 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Charlottesville recommendations

Hi KatVa,

We just returned home today. Spent some time in Washington DC and Williamsburg as well.

We stayed for two nights at the Clifton Inn and it was wonderful!

Close enough to get to everything we wanted to see (Monticello was less than 10 minutes away), but far enough away to truly relax in the afternoon. There is a lovely outdoor pool that the kids absolultely loved - and it was such a pretty setting that I enjoyed hanging out poolside as well. After I dig out from the piles of laundry and mail, I will post a hotel review.

Lori

Maryland
Level Contributor
55 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Charlottesville recommendations

Thanks everyone for your posts. We're going to keep the reservations at the Hampton Inn. The only time we'll be out at night is for dinner and my husband will be with us. We'll either take the trolley, shuttle or drive ourselves. I'll post after the trip with my opinion about the location. I am sure I can find plenty of things to do with the kids. I also read somewhere there is a glass factory/shop where people can make their own glass sculpture or whatever. Sounds fun.

CaliforniaLori- hope you enjoyed your time in DC/VA.

Maryland
Level Contributor
55 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Charlottesville recommendations

DUHHH! I meant to post the reply to my Forum Question - Charlottesville w/ Kids.

20. Re: Charlottesville recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, October 07, 2009