We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charlottesville Restaurants for Anniversary Dinner Oct 6?

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Charlottesville Restaurants for Anniversary Dinner Oct 6?

We will be in Charlottesville this weekend (October 5, 6, 7) to celebrate our first wedding anniversary.

I have spent the last 2 weeks researching Charlottesville restaurants from every possible angle (Trip Advisor, Fodors, Frommers, Zagat, cville.com, 10 Best, etc.)

I'm a fairly good cook on my own and grew up in a household where cooking is an art. I know good food, good service, and good restaurants when I see it/them. We don't mind paying $100-$150 dollars for a terrific night out. But we do expect top notch food and service at those prices. We generally reciprocate by tipping servers between 20-25% before tax.

We'll be having seafood at Rhett's on Friday night since it is close to our hotel, the prices seem fair, and we planned to spend the big bucks on Saturday night.

We thought we had come up with the perfect Saturday evening at Hamilton's since they have live jazz on Saturday nights and their internet menu featured 2 items that both my husband and I were delighted by:

- Filet Mignon over Garlic Whipped Potatoes with Bordelaise Sauce, Roasted Asparagus and a Portabella Mushroom Salad @ $28.95

- Pistachio-Crusted Rack of Lamb with Brandied Local Apples, Sauteed Swiss Chard, Whipped Potatoes and a Porcini Mushroom Demiglace @ $26.95

We figured with 2 glasses of wine and 2 desserts we might hit $100 before tax and tip ($130?)

Unfortunately when we called, they told us that

1) They couldn't accept a resrevation for 7:00 {although they suggested 7:30 - fine...]

2) Neither of these items was actually available,

suggesting instead their substitutes of a Filet MIgnon with a cabernet sauce and a Rack of Lamb with a fennel potato gratin (which totally didn't interest me.)

Perhaps other readers will think we are being too picky, but it's our anniverary, and we're willing to pay, but we want what we want.

I spent another hour on the phone last night.

Palladio (while it sounds lovely, will require us to drive 40 miles roundtrip from C'ville and) has no lamb;

OXO has no lamb;

L'Etoile has no lamb and the rest of their menu is heavy on game meats;

Cassis only has a braised leg of lamb (yuck);

Fleurie is featuring a very Mediterranean Rack of Lamb with Fennel Purée, Pistou, Concassé of Tomato and Black Olives;

C & O has a Rack of lamb pan roasted w/ mustard crust, stewed tomato, wild rice & walnut pilaf, roast shallot & cider reduction @$29.00 (again not crazy about the mustard crust, but we are running out of time) and a Beef tenderloin au poivre w/ butternut squash puree & truffled Madeira sauce @$30.00 but I have read so many disparaging comments about C&O on the Trip Advisor Discussion Boards that I am wondering if I would be nuts to drop a C-note+plus here.

Any advice? (Just don't tell us we are being too picky. Any other night, we wouldn't care, but this is our one night a year when we really feel like having other people indulge us --- and we are willing to pay a fair price...)

Note to restauranteurs: Keep a webmaster on retainer and change your internet menus more frequently...

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charlottesville Restaurants for Anniversary Dinner Oct 6?

Look at Ivy Inn's website

ivyinnrestaurant.com

I see they have lamb (you might want to check and make sure what they have on the web is availble this weekend!)

It has a nice atmosphere for a special dinner and great food.

virginia
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Charlottesville Restaurants for Anniversary Dinner Oct 6?

Try the Clifton Inn as well, they've got lamb on their internet menu:

www.cliftoninn.net/index.php…

3. Re: Charlottesville Restaurants for Anniversary Dinner Oct 6?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 am, September 11, 2009