We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants

chicago
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Restaurants

We will be in charlottesville in October for a wedding. We are looking for a casual place to eat on a Thursday night for 8 to 10 people. Thinking seafood, salads or burgers. Does anyone have any recommendations? I have been online and there are too many to choose from. Thanks in advance

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
924 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants

I just wrote another post about restaurants. Consider Mono Loco (google their website). Tell me more...Do they like martinis or more of a beer crowd? What hotel are you staying in?(would you prefer walking distance or doesnt matter) Do you want local flavor or prefer a chain (Cheeseburger in Paradise for example)?

chicago
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants

We are staying at the Marriot. Walking distance would be better. As for food/drinks--beer, wine, martinis, burgers, pasta, salads--we dont want to be in a loud bar--the parents wont be able to hear a thing.

Charlottesville, VA
Level Contributor
115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants

Which Marriott are you staying at? The one on West Main Street? And what would you consider to be walking distance (1/2 to 1 mile)?

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
924 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants

Chickenlady might have other suggestions, but if you are at the Courtyard on West Main, a place that might fit your needs is West Main restaurant, which would be a few blocks east of your hotel. You could call ahead with possibilities of taking a room upstairs or just sit on the main floor. I like it as it is casual but classy with a quieter main floor bar and seating area, an upstairs for special events, and a basement that tends to be more active but with pool tables. It is decorated with pictures of Charlottesville's past so gives a good perspective of how things used to be. Plus, Thursday is $5 martini night and they have an excellent beer selection!

After dinner, depending on your crowd, you could simply go downstairs to continue to party or could walk a few blocks further east and you are right on the downtown mall

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants

I would check out the menu for Wild Greens. The website is www.wildgreensrestaurant.com

They have great food and drinks. It's not a noisy bar but a nice and casual restaurant. We were just there last week for my in-laws anniversary. We had 10 people in our group including our young kids. They have a good selection and the salmon was excellent. They also have a kids menu if you have kids in your group. It is not within walking distance of the Marriott on W Main. It is on Barracks Road which isn't too far to drive.

chicago
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants

I didnt realize there are 2 Marriots. Is there one closer to campus? We would easily walk 20-25minutes. We would prefer to avoid driving. Thanks for the info. I am going to check out the above mentioned restaurants.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
559 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants

From what it looks like you want, here is where I would recommend.

http://www.westmainrestaurant.com/

My family went here for lunch the day of my wedding and they were very impressed plus I have been there since and the food is excellent.

Charlottesville, VA
Level Contributor
115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants

If you stay at the Marriott on West Main Street you should be near everything -- within 20 minutes walk (or less) there are lots of restaurants, the university campus, downtown... and the streets are pedestrian friendly (sidewalks; crosswalks; etc.).

9. Re: Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, September 10, 2009