We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How bad is the heat ?should we cancel next weekin Charl/wmsb

Which Charlottesville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
How bad is the heat ?should we cancel next weekin Charl/wmsb

We are scheduled to drive from NYC to Charlottesville for 2 nights at the Clifton Inn followed by 4 nights at the Kingsmill Resort in Williamsburg.

Thee are 3 of us.- me , hubby and 12 year old who is home this week recovering from Pneumonia !

I am afraid that we will drive all that way and spend the whole time in hotel as it is supposed to be 91-97 degress all next week !

Advice please please !!

Thanks

enjoythejourney15

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How bad is the heat ?should we cancel next weekin Charl/wmsb

No one can really answer that but you, and a lot probably depends on what activities you have planned. Last August my family went to Siesta Key, FL which most people thought was crazy for that time of year. However, we were outside only to go to the beach, and to get to the car to drive to a museum or store. I didn't find it to be any hotter or any more humid than here at home.

If you have Busch Gardens in your plans, this place always seems cooler than the rest of the world -- lots of trees.

Good luck with your decision.

Charlottesville, VA
Level Contributor
115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How bad is the heat ?should we cancel next weekin Charl/wmsb

Weather.com and the 7-Day Forecast on nbc29.com (one of C'ville's local tv stations) don't predict that it'll be that hot next week (August 13 to 17) in Central Virginia. Not that either source can be trusted!

It has been unusually hot this week (8/8 and 8/9 were both 100 degree days w/ heat indexes around 110), but a front is coming through tonight & the temperature should return to normal (high 80's/low 90's w/ slightly less humidity, I hope).

If you do get here and find it unbearable, there's an ice rink in Charlottesville that you can visit, and you could drive to Scottsville and go tubing on the James River. Luray Caverns and other spots in the mountains just to the west of C'ville are generally cooler as well.

3. Re: How bad is the heat ?should we cancel next weekin Charl/wmsb

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, September 07, 2009