We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Charlottesville?

Which Charlottesville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania
5 posts
Save Topic
Christmas in Charlottesville?

Hi:

Over the years, we've fallen in love with this area, and have decided to take a holiday vacation to the Charlottesville/Richmond area over Christmas and New Years. I wondered if that's a good idea. We really wanted to stay in Charlottesville for Christmas (or somewhere in that area), but we are concerned about dining options and wondered if a B&B or inn might give us more comfortable surroundings over Christmas Eve/Christmas Day. Any thoughts?

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,834 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Charlottesville?

I don't have an exact answer, just an observation from my own experience. I love B&Bs, so I look at lots of websites. Most that I've seen are closed during Christmas - probably for their own celebration. You might start looking at B&B websites in the area to see if they are indeed open over Christmas.

Pennsylvania
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Charlottesville?

I'm very concerned about that. I'm sure there are areas that are used to having travelers over the holidays and consider it an opportunity to make more money. Somehow, Charlottesville doesn't sound like that one area. I don't want to get to that area, even in the hopes of a cozy stay in a B&B, and find out that basically, everyone and everything have rolled up the streets. We don't need to travel on Christmas Eve/Christmas; we can leave afterwards. I just want to make the right decision. Thanks for confirming my instinct. If anyone wants to give any contrasting information, I would be happy to hear it!

3. Re: Christmas in Charlottesville?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:51 am, July 04, 2008
Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,759 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in Charlottesville?

Call a couple of the B&Bs/Inns that interest you, and talk to them about the holiday season and the dates you would like to be there. If they are unable to accommodate you, they may have other recommendations for you, and also should be able to guide you for dining options.

Any interest in coming to Williamsburg for the holidays? Lots of options there, if it appeals to you.

Pennsylvania
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in Charlottesville?

Hi all:

I have to say that I was reading posts last night for Charlottesville and Williamsburg and I'm honored that you, especially Zoey 1996, would write to me. Last night, I actually posted in hopes that you "experts on the area" would.

In 2000, we took a very relaxing, 10-day trip to Charlottesville/Richmond/Williamsburg and it was great. Did you ever have one of those trips where everyone was just wonderful, your hotels were just great, and little unexpected surprises worked out in your favor? That was this trip. We still think of it fondly and tell everyone about it because it was so tremendously good. That's when our love affair with the area started. Since then, we've taken smaller weekend trips, but nothing longer.

This Christmas/holiday trip again affords us more time to spend in the area. I wanted something fairly casual and relaxed, where we generally plan things to do, but are open to anything that might crop up. I had thought about Williamsburg, but had read posts that dining options there are limited on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day. What we wanted for Christmas Eve/Christmas Day was the antithesis of what we usually have on the holidays: stuck in some relative's house, eating too much, and watching family pets bound over the furniture! We just wanted something cozy and for Pete's sake, quiet. We love going out in Richmond, so it seemed a natural to end up there for New Year's Eve. Other than that, we're open to anything. Jason loves Charlottesville, and this is really his vacation time that we're spending, so I wanted to make sure it was special for him.

All of your suggestions are great, and with this much lead time, it's giving me a chance to really research it. I don't want to necessary plan for the good things, but I would like to know enough about what I'm getting into at this time of the year to avoid any disappointments. We travel to the area all through the year, except for this holiday time, so I'm afraid I'm a fish out of water on this one. Keep it comin'!

Charlottesville, VA
Level Contributor
115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas in Charlottesville?

I don't celebrate Christmas, so it's hard for me to tell you what it's like to celebrate Christmas in Charlottesville, but...

The Inn at Sugar Hollow Farm keeps a blog. Check out their blog for last Christmas 2006 (they appear to be open for the holidays & their blog describes all of the things going on that month in C'ville):

…sugarhollow.com/2006/12/holiday-music-and-c…

And I've heard rave reviews of Charlottesville's New Year's Eve family celebration on the downtown mall -- http://www.firstnightva.org/

I would think it would be relatively quiet everywhere as most of the students will be gone for the holidays, but before & after Christmas Day everyone comes into C'ville to shop from the surrounding areas, so I would think that other than Christmas Day itself, almost everything should be open the rest of that week for business.

And there's only about a 20% chance that you'll get a white Christmas.

7. Re: Christmas in Charlottesville?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, September 06, 2009