We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planned trip itinerary - 3 days

Which Cape Charles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
26 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Planned trip itinerary - 3 days

I see this forum doesn't get much action but I was hoping someone would stumble on my post and respond. We are heading to Cape Charles in June, arriving June 22nd. We are staying at the Shore Stay Suites. We plan to arrive mid-afternoon, check-in, get a few groceries, then head down to downtown Cape Charles to walk around, possibly eating at Kelly's.

Sunday, we are planning a trip to Tangier Island via the ferry out of Onancock. We will eat at the Fisherman's Corner on the island then explore until the ferry comes to take us back to Onancock.

Monday, we plan to do the Wildlife refuge and then the Cape Charles Beach for a few hours.

Tuesday, we leave to travel to Charleston, SC.

Any thoughts on our itinerary? What we shouldn't do? What we should do?

3 replies to this topic
Mechanicsville...
Level Contributor
223 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planned trip itinerary - 3 days

With your itinerary, you seem to be doing a lot driving up and down Route 13. Unless you have an unmentioned reason to stay in Cape Charles, I’d stay in Onley, or Chincoteague and save a lot of driving time. It’s a good 40 minute drive from Cape Charles to Onancock, and well over an hour from Cape Charles to Chincoteague. These times do not include some very possible delays due to farm equipment on the road. The speed limit on RT13 changes many, many times and the cops like to catch speeders around the speed limit changes.

The hotels are better in Chincoteague – the Hampton Inn is a Connie Award winner and is the nicest Hampton Inns I’ve every stayed at.

One piece of advice – bring insect repellant – the mosquitos on the Eastern Shore will bleed you dry without it. There is a Chincoteague Island Forum on Trip Advisor that is monitored by a Chincoteague resident – post your question there as well.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,753 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planned trip itinerary - 3 days

I assumed the wildlife refuge the OP referred to is the Eastern Shore of Virginia National Wildlife Refuge, which is located no more than 15 miles from Cape Charles, not the one on Assateague or Wallops Island. If that assumption is true, then staying at Chincoteague doesn't make sense. Onancock is about 38 miles from Cape Charles, and about 35 miles from Chincoteague.

I think the itinerary sounds good. Make a stop at the Visitors Center after you cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, if you're coming from the south for lots of literature and information that will help you make the most of your short stay.

Florida
Level Contributor
26 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planned trip itinerary - 3 days

Thank you. Yes Zoey that is the one I was referring to. I wish I had made myself a little clearer. We are coming from the South so I will be sure to stop at the visitor's center.

1967 foodie, thank you for your response. It has prompted me to look at Chincoteague as a possible vacation in the future. Nice area.

And I have lots of insect repellant ready to go. :) Being from Florida I know something about those bugs and they can ruin a good time.

Reply to: Planned trip itinerary - 3 days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cape Charles