We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,790 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

We visited Patrick Henry's Red Hill on Saturday. Such a lovely place!

We started out from Williamsburg armed with MapQuest and GPS, and were glad for both! It's a long drive, but we arrived at the Drug Store Grill around 12:30. It was pretty quiet there. I had the Reuben, and Husband had the cheese steak. Both were good and filling. And I can report their unsweet tea is really good, too!

We used our GPS to go from there to Red Hill. It's a country place, with small country roads. Quite pretty this time of year. The woman at the Visitor Center was very knowledgeable and helpful. The short film was well worth the time spent. After the film, we walked towards the Osage orange - it is huge! Where I grew up on the farm in Kansas, we had a row of Osage oranges along the pond, but they were scrubby little things - nothing like the one here! We visited all the buildings, walked down by the garden that had tobacco and sunflowers, among other things, and paid a visit to Mr. Henry's gravesite.

Returning to the Visitor Center, we looked around the little museum of Henry's artifacts. The letter opener said to be held by Henry during his "Give me liberty" speech and the magistrate's bell later used as a dinner bell really caught my eye.

We took US 360 going west, but dropped down to US 460 going east before picking up I-95 to I-64 near Richmond. If you have any interest at all in Patrick Henry's life and times, I highly recommend visiting both Scotchtown and Red Hill.

2 replies to this topic
Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

Sounds like a good day.

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

SO glad you had a good visit, Zoey :)

Yes, our roads haven't changed much, other than the surface material, since Henry's time.

You can really get a feel for what a trip to town really meant (time and work wise) when you think of traveling that road on horse or in a wagon.

You sure wouldn't want to have to haul your farm goods to town over that curvy, hilly road, would you? ;)

That's probably why being on the river was such a blessing- batteaux ran up and down that river carrying goods all over the place. :)

Reply to: Trip Report
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Brookneal