We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving in Blacksburg Ideas?

Which Blacksburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville, Kentucky
2 posts
Save Topic
Thanksgiving in Blacksburg Ideas?

I'll be in town with small children and grandparents for a four day trip over Thanksgiving. Any ideas of local festivities? Holiday parades or fun runs? Great hikes? Any multigenerational suggestions appreciated. I'm open to drive as far as Roanoke.

4 replies to this topic
Virginia
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving in Blacksburg Ideas?

Hi Alice.

I love Thanksgiving time in Blacksburg. Usually cold (but not freezing) crisp weather. The students go away for the holiday so it slows down considerably. The traditional VT vs UVA football game the saturday after Thanksgiving is AWAY in Charlottesville this year so there won't be football Traffic. Should be nice.

I love to go hiking during this time (after 10 minutes you warm up). Pandapas Pond is a nice area. There are paved walking trails around the actual pond (good for the more elderly) and then for the more adventurous hiking trails, bike trails, and horse trails going into the surrounding area and across streams. Labeled and clearly marked trails...easy to navigate! There's also excellent hiking at The Cascades which is a bit further out on route 460 (you get off in Pembroke). It has a loop trail with a waterfall at the end. I like going in Winter - less people and I love to see the water frozen.

I also sometimes like to take a nice drive down to the New River where in the warmer months there is tubing. You can drive down Prices Fork and take McCoy Road which will lead you all the way to the River. Hang a right onto Big Falls Road and see the river on your left. Get out and look at the river near the big rocks and "rapids" if you can call them that. Continue driving as the road turns to dirt and gravel around some high up scary turns until you take a right on Spruce Run (Rt 605) which will take you through a little "back country" following a stream and eventually you'll end up at Route 460 not far from Blacksburg. If you want to keep going you can go left on 460 and take a right onto mountain lake road. Drive up to Mountain Lake where they filmed Dirty Dancing. Not much to see there but it's a neat drive up this large mountain with a cool Inn surrounding the lake and old cabins and a giant human sized chessboard! The Lake has a natural crack in the bottom of it. It completely dried out a few years ago and recently water has started to slowly fill back up into it from below. Scientists think the east coast earthquake may have affected it some more.

Let's see.... what else...

The Blacksburg Farmer's Market is always fun on Saturday mornings and wednesday evenings. I expect people will still be set up around Thanksgiving and they may have something special going on for the holidays. It's located right downtown. Very convenient.

You can catch great films at the Lyric. According to their schedule they will be showing MoneyBall and then the Ides of March around that time.

The Armory Art Gallery is right near the farmer's market too.

You've got wonderful Virginia Tech which is fun to drive through campus, nice to observe the shooting victim's memorial, and see the unique buildings when there aren't thousands of students walking to class.

If you're into Black Friday Shopping and deals you'll find big box stores like Target (opening at midnight) in Christiansburg with others in the small mall there. Roanoke will have more shopping options than Christiansburg. Roanoke btw also has an awesome downtown area and market which is open (I think) every day except holidays. I'm sure they will have holiday events going on.

Heritage Park is a nice local spot. It used to be a huge farm and people wanted to turn the property into baseball fields and such but instead with the help of public pressure they kept it a nice park. It has 2 walking paths (not connected) that go in two different directions. If you park at the upper parking lot off Glade Road you'll get some nice views of the surrounding mountains and if you take the path to the right you'll pass a pond and walk through the old barn and farm buildings and up the hill where you can sit on a bench and see the stream and some awesome views.

Something most people don't know about is that we have a very unique gallery here in Blacksburg called Beux Arts (it's right downtown). They sell the kinds of things you'd see in giant mansions and luxury apartments. Murano Glass Chandeliers, a complete bedroom set once owned by a Serbian King. Huge dining room tables and lots of brass, silver, glass, crystal, copper, all kinds of things. Very glamorous items. It's free to go in (as long as they are open) and walk through the 3 different floors of really neat things. Just look at furniture and items that most of us would never have enough money to buy!

I hope those ideas can get you started on some things to do here! It should be a nice quiet time.

Enjoy!

Louisville, Kentucky
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving in Blacksburg Ideas?

Thanks for taking the time to put together such a thorough and thoughtful response- this is exactly what I was hoping to find out! I can't wait to give it all a try.

Fullerton...
Level Contributor
56 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving in Blacksburg Ideas?

Great post, it prompts my question:

I -could- come with my husband to Blacksburg with my husband while he attends a conference at Virginia Tech, is there anything for a history lover to do out there?

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanksgiving in Blacksburg Ideas?

Hi Celine.

You could. Depending on how long the conference is... there can be stuff to do. You just have to find it. Me - I find so much. Others come here and blink and see nothing to do.

History and natural history so often go closely together. So in addition to the natural history that I've outline above there is smithfield plantation just off the Virginia Tech campus (actually... they share property) and there are old cemeteries and civil war trails. You can go into smithfield plantation during their open hours for a small fee and see the old house. It's one of the only revolutionary history sites in this area. There are old buildings downtown in the historic 16 blocks of Blacksburg (the town was 16 blocks) like the price house which boasts a nature center now (mainly for kids). And I really like Heritage Park & Brown farm for a nice walk, go inside the old barn buildings, and terrific views. If you park in the "upper" parking lot off glade road then make sure to take the gravel trail to the right and not the paved trail to the left. The gravel trail takes you past the old buildings and silo and gets great views.

There's a geology/science museum in one of the buildings on campus too.

Salem is on the way to roanoke and has a great antique mall.

Just some ideas.... :-)

Reply to: Thanksgiving in Blacksburg Ideas?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted