We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Base Camp"

Silver Creek, New...
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
"Base Camp"

Greetings from Silver Creek, New York:

We have never vacationed in your beautiful state of Vermont. In addition, we have friends located in Springfield and so we have been tossing about the notion of doing just that.

While we are sightseeeing, etc., they will be working and so it would be best for us to stay somewhere "neutral".

White River Junction seems like it might work, however we are truely open to any suggestions. Admittedly, I am slightly overwhelmed with all the small towns.

I would like a small kitchenette-type situation for 2 adults.

Many thanks for all input!!

Jan : - )

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Base Camp"

Good day to you,

White River is central and has a charm (it has some good resturants and an excellent bakers!) but I would suggest traveling along route 4 towards Woodstock. The type of accomodation you require would not be easy to find in Woodstock so try Quechee.

Don't rule out B & B's (which Woodstock village/town has a large selection of at www.woodstockvt.com) They can provide an affordable base and the owners can often point you in the direction of more resonably priced food, if you don't want to cook. Use Trip Advisor to guide you in your choices.

Springfield to White River is about an hour and a bit and the I91 is a wonderful road with little traffic. As you are in no hurry do take route 106 part of the way and visit towns such as Chester (visit the Vermont General Store at Rockingham) which has the feel of an original Vermont village. Towns like Newfane, Grafton, Saxtons River are also worth seeing.

Route 100 which is a little east of your plans is also in my opinion, the best route to see the views of Vermont. However from White River you can also visit parts oi New Hampshire easily, so if you can give me an idea of what time of year you plan to visit i would happily try and give you some more focused ideas.

The main thing is "stay awhile"!

Silver Creek, New...
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Base Camp"

David:

Thank-you for your great input! Actually, the Simon Pearce Restaurant in Quechee has already been recommended to us as a "must do".

The route we mapped out takes us from NY I90 to I 87 North and into Vermont near Rutland. We then take route 4 across to WRJ, and so would be travelling through your Woodstock, as you know.

We will be arriving in Vermont on Sunday, September 17th and heading home on Friday, the 22nd. We are aware that peak fall foliage is in October, however, the rates are also at their peak! : -(

Perhaps another year for that.

I have been doing a little reseach and have come across the General Store at Rockingham. Is the Norman Rockwell Museum in Rutland worth it? I see there is one is Mass. which looks a little better, however, seems a bit too far for this trip.

Many thanks for all suggestions and recommendations! : - )

Jan

Silver Creek, New...
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Base Camp"

David:

The Long Trail Brewery you had suggested in the Windsor forum actually has a very nice website:

www.longtrail.com

It looks like the perfect choice for us after our long drive on the interstate......we are estimating a 7-8 hour drive all told.

The Billings Farm and Museum in Woodstock also looks interesting.

Vermont in the fall must be beautiful.

Jan

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Base Camp"

Hi Jan,

The Norman Rockwell museum is worth visiting. I have personally never been there as I detest his style! I know folks who have gone and enjoyed the place. It is found on route 4 going east about 2 miles after you have joined it at the Rutland route 7 junction. It is on the right hand side of the road as you go east and is well signed. Go past Home depot on your left and it is about 1 mile further on.

Billings Farm in Woodstock is a "must do" As they have live events going on all summer do check out their web site www.billingsfarm.org. It is open from 10.00 - 17.00.

Your dates are good as the State is not overrun with visitors at that time. You will also benefit from slightly cheaper prices and certainly better weather. Coming over the week is also a better bet as weekends in September seem to full of wedding parties.

I would also suggest stopping just outside Woodstock for a trip around the West Bridgewater Mill where Shackelton-Thomas furniture and pottery are based. The building is beautiful and the stores inside offer real craftspeople producing unique personal goods.

If you need any more recommendations ( i think you have accommodation sorted now don't you?) do give me a request and I will attempt to assist you.

In Quechee there is VINS a wonderful bird wildlife sanctuary if that interests you. www.vinsnaturecentre.org.

Bye for now.

Silver Creek, New...
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Base Camp"

David:

Hello once again. You have truly been a plethora of wonderful information. Many thanks.

I adore bookstores and Vermont just seems like a natural setting in which there would be some unique ones. Is my hunch correct?

For this trip, we decided to just stay at a generic chain hotel and as we poke about the State, look into more appropriate accomodations for future vacations. I have a feeling Vermont will be beckoning once again!

As you know, there are no secrets in cyberspace, and indeed, I found your charming "Woodstocker Inn". I am especially attracted to your 5 Cambridge Room. You and Dora must be very proud of your efforts. I may steal your slipper idea for my home!

I am off to look up the websites you gave me......thanks again.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Base Camp"

Hello again Jan,

You are indeed correct in finding out my true identity. In the spirt of Trip Advisor i always strive to be totally objective and independent in any advice given and try to disguse my identity.

I am happy to help fellow travelers with a little local knowledge as I used the site long before my current occupation, and was probably moved into my current home/role as the result of hearing about fellow travelers etc.

As you say there is no hiding in Cyberspace!

I also happen to know a bit about book publishing as in my previous life i spent 25 years flogging its wares in a different country!

There are some interesting bookshops in the state but I have not yet found a collection in one particular town, but I will keep looking. In Manchester VT you have the Northshire Bookstore which i hear has just been voted the number 1 independent book retailer in the USA. It is a very impressive shop, but it doesn't do many second hand titles.

My aim is to do more research throughout the state when i get more time as I would like to think that there is a barn somehwere in the state filled with books to rumage through.

Once you have seen some of the web sites this wet (well it is here) Saturday afternoon do please pass on any comments so that i might refine my suggestions.

Kind regards,

Davidbignose

Harrison, Arkansas
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Base Camp"

WRJ is a good location to see alot of VT. I have to agree with dave Billings farm is a must see along with Queech Gorge. Another thing that is nice but not in vermont but a Stones throws away is the Shaker Village in Enfield NH. Very Beautiful buildings and also have lunch up In hanover, NH.

The harpoon brewery is in windsor on rt5 next to the simon pearce glass plant ( worth checking out) Head over on rt4 for the charming town of woodstock and head west to The long trail Brewery. And take route100b(?) to the Calvin Coolige Homestead near Plymouth Notch. Good luck on your trip. There is alot to do and see in VT and NH

Silver Creek, New...
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Base Camp"

dmar:

Oh, boy.......there is indeed alot to see and do in Vermont! One of my co-workers visits each year and I am now discovering why: my 4 full days simply are not going to do your beautiful state justice.

My route brings me across New York on the I-90 and up into Vermont via I-87 N by Rutland. As you know, that we will then be travelling to WRJ via Rt. 4. Not wanting to waste any time, we are first stopping at the Norman Rockwell Museum and have plans in place to lunch at the Long Trail Brewery.

We had then planned on popping into Simon Pearce to make reservations for lunch/dinner and then spend that day poking about Woodstock/Barnard/Quechee. However, I am now wondering if it would be wiser to make reservations from here in New York a couple of weeks beforehand.......????

Thank-you for the Shaker Village suggestion...it is right up my alley. We have been to Sturbridge Village in Mass. and certainly enjoyed that.

Many thanks for all input.....I know our week will only allow us to enjoy a small portion of Vermont, but there is always next year!

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Base Camp"

Hi Jan,

Reservations for Simon Pearce can only be made for dinner. Long Trail does not need/will not take reservations. I would suggest make reservations at resturants as they do get booked in the tourist season.

Another beautiful morning here....

David

Silver Creek, New...
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Base Camp"

Thanks for the advice: since Simon Pearce is a "given" for us, it makes sense to go ahead and make our reservations. I would hate to wait and then be disappointed.

Upon opening my mailbox today, I was delighted to find (amongst all those pesky monthly bills that keep finding me!) the information packet I had ordered from the Vermont Dept. of Tourism and Marketing.

They put together a very impressive package which includes 3 different quite detailed maps and a nice, thick vacation guide book. So I am in "vacation-planning" heaven......and (better yet), should not get lost!

I appreciate all the good information/advice you have patiently given me....I know it will make our first visit to Vermont even more enjoyable.

Get answers to your questions about White River Junction
More White River Junction Topics