We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vermont Honeymoon - February

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
80 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Vermont Honeymoon - February

I visit the Stowe are frequently, but have not ventured that far from the area.

My fiance will be getting married in Waitfield this February and are thinking of staying in the state for part or all of our honeymoon (traveling to number of places).

We don't downhill ski, but do XC ski (though I am a novice) and snow shoe.

Any suggestions for places to visit - - I was thinking Craftsbury and East Burke as a start.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vermont Honeymoon - February

Check out the Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe - it's absolutely gorgeous. They have their own X-Country Ski Center.

I was also going to suggest Craftsbury & East Burke. Can't help with Craftsbury accommodations, but can tell you that they have phenomenal x-country skiing there.

In East Burke, check out the Inn at Mountain View Creamery or the Wildflower Inn (in Lyndonville). Burke has a nice x-country center as well.

Hope this helps & congratulations!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
80 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vermont Honeymoon - February

Thanks - - I learned to XC ski at the Trapp's.

And a visit to the Mountain View Farm is what inspired the idea of just doing the honeymoon in VT -- it is beautiful.

Chester, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vermont Honeymoon - February

Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding. I can't think of anything more romantic than a feb wedding in Vermont.

Now to choice of honeymoon - you should at least consider the Okemo valley area

In South/Central Vt its a very pretty and virtually unspoilt part of vermont but with all the facilities that a couple could wish for. Quaint little villages like Chester, Weston, Cavendish Ludlow. X country skiing at Grafton Ponds is wonderful or at the Nordic centre at Okemo. There are snowshoe trails, sleigh rides (with toasted marshmallows and hot cider) and lots of wonderful romantic B&B's and Inns, great restaurants and without the crowds you would usually find at this time of year. Check out the website www.discoverokemo.org

Vermont
Level Contributor
536 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vermont Honeymoon - February

Also if you stay at the Inn at Mountain view up on Darling Hill in East Burke you can hop right onto Kingdom Trails. Some of the trails go right next to the Inn! They aren't just for biking in the summer. You can go x-c skiing and snow shoeing on them. Miles and miles fo trails. There is a fee so you would have to buy the pass before hand...but how convenient is it to step out of your door and on to the trials! Sounds like a beautiful honeymoon. A great time of year to get married!

Congratulations.

Ash

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vermont Honeymoon - February

Baxter: If you have a chance, check out the x-c skiing at Camel's Hump. I skiied there a long time ago, and I think it does not have a full-fledged x-c center there, just trails and maybe a warming hut. If you bring your own equipment, and ski up the view is amazing! Otherwise, previous suggestions are great and you can do a search online for current conditions before heading out to a particular area. I personally liked the Edson Hill Touring Center in Stowe more than Trapp, b/c it is more wild there. Oops, just noticed you're a novice, might want to save Camel's Hump for your next visit. Take a lesson someplace, it can help so much and it's fun!

6. Re: Vermont Honeymoon - February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, August 24, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Stowe