We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stowe over Labor Day weekend

Which Stowe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Stowe over Labor Day weekend

I am planning a 4-day long wkend stay in Stowe over the Labor Day weekend with my husband and 2 yr old daughter and have several questions:

1. My husband may try the tennis clinic at Top Notch - anyone has feedback / experience re the tennis programs there ?

2. Since it's a holiday weekend, will shops/restaurants be shut ? What time do they close in general ?

3. Am planning to bike the rec path, visit ben/jerrys and take a gondola ride. Other than that, what else would you suggest we do (with a 2 yr old in mind)? Thanks

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stowe over Labor Day weekend

1. Can't help with the tennis program....

2. Shops/Restaurants will be open. Stowe's economy depends on tourism and Labor Day Weekend is a big travel weekend. Things generally shut down early here in Vermont. I can't say for sure, but stores probably shut down around 6ish. Restaurants, 10ish.

3. Take a drive through Smuggler's Notch (Route 108). It's a great ride. Visit Moss Glen Falls off of Randolph Road (off 100 north of town). If the weather is nice, you may want to drive to the top of Mount Mansfield on the toll road so you can get a 360 degree view (you won't get this from the gondola). If you are skiers, check out the Vermont Ski Museum right "downtown".

Hope this helps!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
80 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stowe over Labor Day weekend

On your way to Ben & Jerry's also stop at Cider Hollow for apple cider and cider donuts

If your daughter happens to like candy, visit the Laughing Moon Chocolate store where they make fudge, or the Stowe Mercantile, a country store with big jars of candy - - both of which happen to be locate almost across the street from a 1950's style ice cream shop.

Vermont
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Stowe over Labor Day weekend

1. Never played tennis so I have no answer.

2. Shops will be open all weekend. You will find some shops that will stay open until 7 or 8pm on Friday and Saturday nights. Otherwise 5 or 6 is the norm.

3. If you are in Stowe on Sunday then go to the free concert up at Trapp Family Lodge. Great views and great music!

NY
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stowe over Labor Day weekend

Thanks all for the excellent suggestions.

5. Re: Stowe over Labor Day weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, August 16, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Stowe