We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day drinking in Stowe? Esp at wineries...

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Day drinking in Stowe? Esp at wineries...

We'll be visiting Stowe soon. I'd like to be able to have a few glasses of wine at a local winery during the day. I'm obviously not going to do this and then drive, but my searches for nearby wineries have found mostly those that you must drive to. Are there any cozy quaint lounges or wineries in downtown Stowe that are close to Main Street? Or perhaps shuttles that one could catch to a local winery and back? I'd like to kick back and get a buzz on without worrying about transportation.

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day drinking in Stowe? Esp at wineries...

I don't know of any winery on Main Street in the village. There are, however, a couple of places to get a drink in the afternoon within walking distance. Most of Stowe is spread out so most people drive around to visit the restaurants and shops. The only winery I am aware of in the area is Boyden Valley which is a bit of a drive in the winter when Route 108 is closed.

For what it's worth, if you limit yourself to the village in the afternoon, then you will be missing a lot of what the area has to offer. One of my complaints about Stowe is the inability to really walk anywhere since there isn't much of a central downtown area.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day drinking in Stowe? Esp at wineries...

I think the breweries are better than the wineries in Vt.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,499 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day drinking in Stowe? Esp at wineries...

No wineries that I know of in Stowe. There are plenty of places to enjoy a glass (or several glasses) of wine though.

port republic
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day drinking in Stowe? Esp at wineries...

the mountain rd shuttle is free and runs all day and well into the evening from the town to the mountain base. Stowe is one of the top "car free" resort areas, and you will find plenty of good wine lists

Vermont
Level Contributor
345 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day drinking in Stowe? Esp at wineries...

Wineries and Vermont is kind of a new thing. Yes, there are a few wineries in Vermont, 15 to be exact. The two closest are Boyden Valley in Cambridge and Caledonia Spirits in Hardwick, both about 25 minutes away. Vermont is better know for its microbreweries and Brew Pubs. There are no less than 5 within 20 minute radius of Stowe and two in Stowe itself, (Trapps and Crop) as well as two in Morrisville, (Lost Nation and Rock Art). If you want to taste the local brews, the best selection can be found up and down the mountain rd. Trapps (off the mountain road), Crop, Vermont Ale House, etc... There is a free shuttle as well. There are also a number of cozy places to sit down, sip some wine by the fire and enjoy good company.

6. Re: Day drinking in Stowe? Esp at wineries...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 04, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Stowe