We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter Clothing for a Day in the Snow at Stowe?

Blackshear
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Winter Clothing for a Day in the Snow at Stowe?

OK, we live in South Georgia where we wear short sleeves virtually 12 months a year. We are coming to Stow in January and want to enjoy the outdoors and the snow, including snowshoeing and cross country skiing on trails and maybe the donald duck beginners slopes. For a day on the snow in what I am guessing will be colder than we have ever experienced (except years ago in the USAF in South Dakota) what kind of boots and coats should we buy to wear? Also someone on TA a couple of weeks ago said there was not enough snow to snowshoe. I am guessing the mid January there will be enough snow? Thanking you in advance for your advice.

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter Clothing for a Day in the Snow at Stowe?

There should be enough natural snow in mid-january to snowshoe in and around Stowe, but it is no guarantee. You can bet the mountain having plenty of open terrain for downhill skiing regardless.

As for clothing, it will cost you to properly outfit yourselves for outdoor recreation in mid-january in Vermont. Sometimes we have a mild spell (January thaw), but it is just as common to have a cold snap of negative temperatures. In general, you should have good socks, insulated boots, long underwear, snow pants, a winter jacket, hat, gloves, and goggles (the latter only if you do plan to ski). The best system is to layer with long underwear and NON-cotton materials underneath outer shells which provide protection from wind and moisture. That way you can add and subtract the layers underneath depending on the temps.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,594 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter Clothing for a Day in the Snow at Stowe?

Layering is indeed the way to go. It needn't be too expensive however. Since you'll be buying outterwear that will seldom be used, it's fine to get cheap stuff - insulated boots from Kmart or Walmart ($30ish) are fine (I've used mine here for ~20 years). Same for a coat & snow pants (~$20-30ish). Same for hats ($5) & insulated gloves ($5-10).

The daytime temps could be anywhere from -10 to +45, so you might wait until ~1 week before your trip to decide what you'll need. If it's really cold, no problem - just add an extra layer of fleece under your jacket. For your legs, long johns & cheap insulated snow pants will generally be fine for a few hours in most any weather you'll encounter.

Your hands may be the limiting factor if it's really cold. Cheap gloves are fine down to ~15 degress. Below that, consider cheap insulated mittens - less sexy, but they'll keep your hands warmer... and you can always get hand warmers in many local stores for ~$1 each.

http://www.amazon.com/HotHands-Hand-Warmers-40-pairs/dp/B0007ZF4OA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385925956&sr=8-1&keywords=hand+warmers

Vermont
Level Contributor
347 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter Clothing for a Day in the Snow at Stowe?

There should be plenty of snow to snowshoe on, especially in the Notch, so you can count on that. As for clothes, give http://www.pinnacleskisports.com/index.html a try, I think you can rent some pants and jackets from them. Also, I agree with the above. For just a week, stop at the Walmart in Williston before getting to Stowe and buy what you need. Then you can donate the clothes to the local school or shelter upon your departure. Just a thought.

4. Re: Winter Clothing for a Day in the Snow at Stowe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, December 04, 2014