We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night in Stowe: advice for where to go/places to eat?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
151 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
One night in Stowe: advice for where to go/places to eat?

We are going on a last minute trip to Stowe this weekend and need some ideas for what to see or do when we only have a short time to stay.

We visited a few years back and took the gondola to the top of Mt Mansfield for the view and had lunch. We loved the recreation path but are not bringing bikes this time.

We are looking for a good place to walk around, take photos, but not necessarily hike.

Are the leaves starting to turn yet??

We will be eating all of our meals out, so please let me know your favorite places for:

big breakfasts

sandwiches/ light lunches

casual dinner for seafood, steak, pasta

We have a reservation at Harrison's but I am open to other suggestions.

Also, the forecast says rain for Saturday...so what could we do if we can't walk outside?

Thanks in advance!

Vermont
Level Contributor
337 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night in Stowe: advice for where to go/places to eat?

If you are arriving Friday night, hot the British Invasion Block party on Main Street in the Village. They close off main street, live music, food and cool cars lining the street. Really is a great time! As for places to eat. Breakfast hit up McCarthys. For sandwiches I would either do Edelwiess or Cafe on Main. Casual dinner, I would go with Tratoria for italian, Harrison's or Frida's. I'm not sure where I would go for seafood. For beer and Apps, the Vermont Ale House is the place for sure.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,375 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night in Stowe: advice for where to go/places to eat?

If the weather is good, drive up the toll road and walk around at the top. Much better views vs. the gondola IMHO... since the toll road goes all the way to the ridge... whereas the gondola ends much lower on the east side.

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,593 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night in Stowe: advice for where to go/places to eat?

I'd have to differ and say go for the gondola, but either will get you up top with some excellent views. I think riding in the gondola is a neat experience and a good way to relax and take in the scenery as you ascend. Also, it's about a 10 minute hike up to the ridge from the top of the gondola. My grandma did it at 86 and my son did it at age 3. (You can also have a beer and food at the top of the gondola!)

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
440 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One night in Stowe: advice for where to go/places to eat?

If you're staying over on Saturday night, the Trapp Family Lodge has an excellent Sunday brunch plus nice views and grounds:

http://www.trappfamily.com/SundayBrunch

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,375 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One night in Stowe: advice for where to go/places to eat?

Hi Adam - The OP did the gondola on their last trip. :) Plus, the gondola goes close to the cliff trail, but is ~400 vertical ft below the ridge. The cliff trail is super rugged, so it's not usually a 10 min hike to the ridge. Maybe you folks went part way... or in the vicinity of the cliff house?

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,375 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One night in Stowe: advice for where to go/places to eat?

Hi Jajtrip - Forgot to answer rE: the leaves. No significant color yet. There may be a few patches starting this weekend. Enjoy!

7. Re: One night in Stowe: advice for where to go/places to eat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, September 21, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Stowe