We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stowe in early Feb...good idea?

Which Stowe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
13 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Stowe in early Feb...good idea?

Hi all,

I've added a few days to the beginning of a trip from London to Boston 4-11 Feb to visit some friends who live in Stowe, VT. I've never been to Vermont before and my friends have really sold the idea of how beautiful it is, how great the food and (more importantly) beer is. Looking at my weather app today, I realised that it's -22c! I am a real city kid and I really don't think I'm prepared for this Vermont winter. Even when my friend suggested I bring boots, I started digging through my closet only to find they all have at least a 4' heel. Any advice on whether a trip to Stowe in Feb with no intention of skiing is crazy would be much appreciated. Will it be possible to get around in a small car, for instance?

Edited: 1:54 pm, January 18, 2013
Vermont
Level Contributor
328 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stowe in early Feb...good idea?

Well, you do realize that you are posting in the Stowe forum. I think you can expect temperatures around 0 degrees celsius. You will not want to wear heals, but in fact have a warm pair of boots. To be honest, I often wear sneakers in the winter, just not after it has just snowed. You'll be fine, dress warm and enjoy the sights.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stowe in early Feb...good idea?

Just go, you won't regret it. Do dress warmly.

I mean it is crazy to not want to ski, period, but I hear that there are some people who don't. You should go down mountain road to the resort to the very end and take a walk on the closed notch road. It is quite lovely and you will meet the friendliest dogs. Ask your friends about this.

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stowe in early Feb...good idea?

And yes, it is possible to get around in a small car. I've been doing it in Vermont for 25+ years. If the weather is bad, just either stay off the roads or drive slowly.

You can always pick up a pair of "real" boots when you arrive, or borrow a pair from your friends.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stowe in early Feb...good idea?

It's very pretty in the winter. There's a superb rec path in town, many artsy little shops and a reasonable number of good restaurants and pubs. Walking up the notch road (Rt. 108... your friends will know it) is a great idea. Maybe bring some cheap sleds to slide back down the steeper spots if you want to make a couple of hours of it.

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stowe in early Feb...good idea?

Many thanks to everyone for your comments & suggestions. I suppose that much snow (and not being in the city) is just so foreign to me that I have no idea what to expect or how to deal with it! I'm picturing doors snowed closed and mighty blizzards. All I really want is to see my friends and get some good beer and I don't wanna get snowed in anywhere because I've got to be back in Boston very soon after!. We actually had some snow in London this week, but the gritter came straight out and everything was back to normal.

Vermont
Level Contributor
328 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stowe in early Feb...good idea?

Well, we did have a monster of a storm on Valentine's day (February 14) in 2007! It was a snowed in, doors closed, kind of a blizzard. And yes, your flights could get delayed...BUT, you are NOT going to the Arctic, so you should be fine.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stowe in early Feb...good idea?

And fear not (yet, anyway...), there's very little snow now and nearly none forecast for the next 10 days. Likely that there will be some in a couple of weeks, but only a dusting so far.

8. Re: Stowe in early Feb...good idea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 26, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Stowe