We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Stowe for a week, suggested activities?

right here
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Stowe for a week, suggested activities?

We'll be staying at Mountainside Resort, from Dec. 17th-24th. We are skiers, and we do plan on skiing one day at Stowe. (all we can afford is one day there-it's so expensive!)

We will also ski at Bolton Valley one day, maybe try Smuggler's Notch one day too. We know driving through the Notch will probably not be possible, and that we'll have to take the long way.

We plan on spending at least one day in Burlington.

We are also hoping to do some old-fashioned sledding, and maybe try cross-country skiing, or snowshoeing.

Can anyone suggest some other activities for us? We won't mind driving at least an hour. We would like to take it easy after all the skiing, sledding and snowshoeing!

Also, rather than eat at restaurants, can anyone point us to places like churches or fire departments that have fund-raising dinners during that week? We like the atmosphere of those very much-great way to meet the locals!

Vermont
Level Contributor
369 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Stowe for a week, suggested activities?

First, it is too bad that you can only afford one day at Stowe, but I agree, it has become way too expensive. I think though, for the money and convenience, you will enjoy Smugglers and JayPeak over Bolton Valley. Unless we get a ton of snow, they may be limited at Bolton. The Notch will be closed, you can count on that. As for sledding, there is a great hill behind the Stowe Elementary School in town, very nice. You can rent sleds from Shaw's General Store on Mainstreet (not to be confused with Shaws Supermarket). You can also go ice skating in the same location at the outdoor rink behind the school, OR Jackson Arena in the same spot. Most places rent snowshoes, the Notch is a nice place to go, as well as the quiet path in town.

As for food, good luck finding a Church Fundraiser or Fire Department event that week. But maybe. If you are looking for more reasonable prices for food, try Waterbury or even Montpelier. Right in town though, there are some more reasonable priced restaurants. I'm sure other people will chime in.

right here
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Stowe for a week, suggested activities?

Thanks.

One day of skiing at Stowe is $92 while we're there! Yikes. We want to try Bolton Valley because it has night skiing, which we love.

I have heard about the hill by the elementary school, can't wait to try it.

I figured the church dinner was a long shot, we like them not to save money, but because they're so friendly. At least they are around here! Nice way to get to know the locals. Thanks, though!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,366 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Stowe for a week, suggested activities?

not trying to dissuade you from checking out other mountains but a multi day ticket will lower the average daily rate. Will be pretty close to one day ticket at other places. something to think about

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,509 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Stowe for a week, suggested activities?

Bolton is great for low key downhill and XC skiing.... ASSUMING there's snow, which is iffy at that time. Other fun activities:

Stowe's rec path - great for walking, pictures, etc...

Browsing the little art galleries on Rt. 108 near the intersection w/ Rt. 100.... great little high end artsy places.

Burlington's Flynn Theater is a gem - great for all kinds of performing arts.

Pubbing in Burlington is super as well - lots of live music at various places most nights.

Enjoy!

right here
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Stowe for a week, suggested activities?

Skiing one day when we're at Stowe will be $92. Skiing 2 days in that period will be $91/day. Skiing 3 days will be $90/day, $272 total for 3 days of skiing.

Not much of a savings.

Or, one day at Stowe for $92, one day at Bolton Valley for $25!! during the week we're there. We could ski for almost 4 days at Bolton instead of one at Stowe!!

We're in our late 40s, not interested in trying to kill ourselves on the double black diamond slopes.

Browsing the shops in Stowe on off-days sounds great too. Oh, and praying for snow!!

right here
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Stowe for a week, suggested activities?

Oh, and we're still waiting for Smuggler's Notch to post their prices. Nothing from them yet!

Hershey...
Level Contributor
9 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Stowe for a week, suggested activities?

I just wanted to chime in on your question regarding church suppers. I don't know of any off hand but the best thing to do when you get into town is to pick up a few local papers. I would get a copy of the Stow Reporter and the Waterbury Record. Many of the churches, granges, etc. have dinners periodically and you might find an advertisement for them in one of these newspapers. Also, keep your eyes peeled as you are driving because many places only advertise through signs in front of the building.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,509 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Stowe for a week, suggested activities?

If there's decent snow, Bolton's quad lift has some great intermediate and easy black diamond terrain. It's been les busy than the main lodge area in years past too.

right here
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in Stowe for a week, suggested activities?

I figured getting a newspaper with local ads would be the best way. Since we're a 10-hour drive away, I was hoping I could do some advance planning.

Thanks, everyone.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,366 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in Stowe for a week, suggested activities?

have you checked out gostowe.com. Also stowetoday.com

Get answers to your questions about Stowe