We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Stowe: Route Guidance Needed

CGD
Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
131 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Stowe: Route Guidance Needed

We are driving from Delaware to Stowe for Thanksgiving weekend. Google maps gives us two options:

95 N (via George Washington Bridge) to 91 North to 89N

or

1-87 thru Albany to Route 4 N (to South Burlington) to 89 South.

I think I'd like to avoid the GW Bridge and so am leaning toward the Albany route, but what do folks think is the best option (or are there better options than these?) We are traveling on Tuesday before Thanksgiving and Saturday after.

Thanks!

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Stowe: Route Guidance Needed

Either route is fine, so if you want to avoid the bridge, go ahead.

One thought: if the weather is good and driving conditions aren't slippery, consider taking Rt. 100 all the way north to Stowe, rather than trying to cut over to I-89 from Rt. 4. It's an exceptionally scenic ride through rural Vermont, and won't add much extra drive time to your travels.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,177 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Stowe: Route Guidance Needed

My experience is driving to Southern Vt but had same options. We always went thru Albany but it is just personal preference. Also, we always take 287 instead of the Jersey pike to 195 and then pick up the turnpike. We would also take the Garden state to 87 instead of 287. It has the high speed tolls if you have not been on it. When I used MQ it took rt 4 over to 100 and headed north instead of going to burlington and heading south. All the routes take just less than 10 hours.

3. Re: Driving to Stowe: Route Guidance Needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:41 am, May 15, 2011